Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Surprised By Myself

Today I was listening to a song called Blessed Be Your Name, and I found myself singing along. I was surprised by myself. That song and I have some history. Not a very good history, but a history.

Here are the lyrics:

Blessed Be Your Name
by Matt Redman
album: Where Angels Fear To Tread (2002)
- - -
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

When I first heard it, I loved it.

Then I did not.

Almost 4 years ago when I lost my first baby it was "the song" in our church... you know, the one that is sung almost every week. The one that everyone loves - until they are all burned out by it. Come to find out, it was "the song" in every church that I was to visit in the couple of years that followed. I could not get away from it no matter how hard I tried. The first time that I went back to church after my loss, that song was being sung. Not only could I not sing it. I had to leave church. It was too much! I could not sing those words. I could not stand there and watch people flippantly sing those words. I was in "the dessert place, the wilderness, the road marked with suffering", and I could not sing - flippantly, like I had before - "Blessed be your name". There came a time when I was able to tolerate it when the song was sung, but I definitely could not sing it. It hurt too bad. I did not understand the "gives and takes away" part. I was living it, but I could not comprehend it or accept it. Then, I remember a day that I made myself sing it - kind of. I had this talk with God that went something like this..."I don't understand you. I mean it! I REALLY don't understand you. But right now, I choose to say, 'Blessed be your name'. But you are going to have to help me out here. I don't have the strength to do it on my own." He did. I literally felt Him come under my arms and help lift them up to praise Him. The act, in and of itself, was a metaphor for the life I was living. I couldn't walk on that "road marked with suffering" without Him. He had to carry me. There was certainly "pain in the offering", but it had to be done.

The next chapter in my love/hate relationship with this song was written about 6 months ago. My dear friend was laying her baby to rest. If I had been on road marked with suffering before, she was at the place that that road ended up. The very depths of suffering. At that memorial service - only days after her face to face with the death of her son and her dreams - she was able to lift her hands and praise the One that could have changed the outcome of her little one's life. I was astonished. Amazed by her faith! Because of her faith, I am one step closer to a place where I can say, "You give and take away. My heart will choose to say Blessed be your name"... maybe a little more quickly than I was before. This is what she has to say about worship... (It gives me chill bumps.) "Worship is lovely when when there's love in the air, but worship is relevant when everything hurts." I could not agree more.

So, this song that I once liked, then hated, I now love. I can sing it. I can mean it. I still hurts sometimes, but I can do it. And when I do, it is relevant and deep.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Amy-
Everytime I hear that song I think of you and remember when you couldn't bear to listen to it. So, I'm so glad you can sing it, even if there are painful memories. It is just one more step to healing! I also remember how it was "the song" sung EVERY week! ha! Now I only hear it on the radio every so often.

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful words Amy. You are growing so, so much through all of this. Run, girl, run!

Mama Jeannie said...

How beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good News! You have done that today sweet girl. To worship when the 'world is as it should be' is precious; to worship in the midst of a terrifying and brutal storm is faith in action... THAT is magnificent. God moves when we step out on the water, doesn't He? He calms the storm of our soul and brings peace; indescribable peace. Thank You Lord for purifying us like silver so that You can see the reflection of Yourself in our lives.

Emily said...

I love this post. I am watching you change before my eyes. Thank you for allowing me into your world, I know that is a sacred place. I love what you wrote here. I think even those of us who have not personally experienced the horrific loss that you have can gain a little wisdom from what you have to say. I am also so thankful that you are getting to this place of peace (not that sometimes you don't want to "hit Weezer"). I love you sister!

Related Posts with Thumbnails