Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Texas, Our Texas

On Wednesday of last week, we had an "Austin Day".  It was rainy until that afternoon, but we still managed to explore the city a bit.  
 
We started by visiting the Texas State Capitol building.  Like most Texans, we are proud of our state, so we were excited to visit the capitol and learn more about it.  We went on a guided tour, and with the exception of a certain 4-year-old (who shall remain nameless) and his "I'm tired.  Hold me.  My legs hurt.  Hold me. I'm hungry.  Hold me." fit, it was great.  :) 


~ the beautiful ceiling ~
Notice the words above Corey's head.
In God We Trust
Cooper finished out our time at the capitol on Corey's shoulders, playing his iPhone.  
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
I loved all of the "Texas details".  
Notice how the lightbulbs in this chandelier spell out TEXAS?
~ the door hinges ~
~ another view of the ceiling ~
(I love it!)
 just to prove that I was there...
Before we went to the capitol, I read the boys a book called Bluebonnet at the Texas State Capitol that helped them to be more interested in some of the details of the tour.  It is by Mary Brooke Casad, and I highly recommend it for people that are taking their kids to visit here.  There are other books in this series about other locations in Texas too.

6 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'll have to check out that book. When we were there I took photos of the hinges and doorknobs too ... I love all the details.

Jenny said...

So glad you had a good visit. Shereda bought the boys that book when they went to visit at spring break. (Randi, you can borrow it from me)

Elizabeth said...

What a fun trip. I have fond memories of visiting the capitol as a child. I love how you captured the details of the architecture. Cool stuff!

Sara said...

I love that Coop was playing with the iPhone while riding on Corey's shoulders. I was just saying how I wish I had an iPhone the other day when Asher was being "difficult". He sat at Emily's and played with hers for 45 minutes or something the other day. Hilarious! And I'm glad you went to the capitol! I LOVE TEXAS! :)

amy said...

Cool! Hey, Franklin has a Texas themed room now - could I "steal" a couple of your pics to frame for his room? I have one of the dome from when I visited Austin, but I'd love to get copies of a couple of others.

Mama Jeannie said...

I love your photos of the Capitol, especially the one with the details of the architecture. How cool that you found a book to introduce your kiddos to the capitol too before you went. I'll have to read that book next time I come visit you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails