Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Surprise For Corey

A few weeks ago I heard that Brad Paisley, one of Corey's favorite singers, was coming to town, and I thought it would be fun to take him to see the concert. I am not able to surprise Corey very often, but this time I pulled it off! I bought lawn seats at an outdoor venue where the concert was to be held and excitedly came up with several clues that I gave Corey throughout the day one day last week. He quickly figured out that we were going to the Brad Paisley concert, and he seemed excited. In anticipation for the night I got the kids situated, researched fun places to eat dinner, etc., and I was very giddy about the fun night that I envisioned us having together.

When the day of the concert arrived, it was raining cats and dogs... and it had been doing so for 2 days. (Did I mention that we had lawn seats?) I was so frustrated with the rain that I had otherwise been hoping for - so excited to have it... just not on this day. In addition to that, I was feeling queasy and the thought of going out on the town vs. staying in bed on a rainy day was frustrating. After watching the weather all day, going to WalMart to get a tarp (and discovering that they were sold out of rain ponchos), & going to Academy and finding ponchos, we decided to bite the bullet and head to the concert.

Before we arrived, we discovered that once inside we could upgrade our lawn seats to covered seating for $10. So instead of going to dinner and arriving at the concert just before it started, we headed straight to the venue to try to upgrade our seats. We planned to do that, then leave to go have dinner. Once we were there, we discovered that we could not leave the center once we had entered, so we grabbed our rain paraphernalia and headed inside - hoping for an upgrade and something decent to eat for dinner. We got lucky, and did, in fact, get covered seats however we were stuck at the venue for an hour and a half to sit in the rain and feast on overpriced concession stand food and drinks for dinner. Well, Corey feasted anyway... I was still nauseated. Maybe that is a blessing since the nasty food would have cost me a pretty penny.

Soaking wet to our knees, we found our seats and waited for the concert to begin. Once that started, it was all worth it for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. I hope Corey did too, but I have a feeling that that will be his last concert with me. I don't think that concerts are his thing... Oh well, I tried.

Brad Paisley is such a great singer/ songwriter! His lyrics are so clever, and some of them are hilarious. Some of them are so heart-felt, and literally brought tears to my eyes. It's official - I'm a Brad Paisley fan!
And here's a fun little tid-bit. One of our family's all-time-favorite movies is Father Of The Bride. Corey, Allie, and I can quote most of both it and its sequel. Well, Brad Paisley is married to one of the stars of those movies, Kimberly Williams, so that makes him even more cool. :)

7 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a fun night despite the rain.

Rebecca Read said...

What a fun surprise! We saw Brad Paisley at the rodeo this year and he is such a good guy. Hope Corey enjoyed it!

Elizabeth said...

Love Kimberly Williams! She is the cutest thing! And good for you for loving your hubby the way you do. :-)

Alicia said...

Fun times! Too bad the rain almost got the best of you. You had good intentions whether he had as good of time as you or not.

Mama Jeannie said...

Amy, you are amazing in how you love your husband and kids; the creativity you are gifted with makes me want to be more like you sweet girl. So sorry Corey didn't recieve the blessing as you had hoped. Surely he loved the gesture of love you gave to him though. This mama is so proud of her girl. :0)

Amy said...

I think Corey appriciated the gesture. He just didn't really seem to enjoy the evening. That's okay. Now I know. ;)

Sara said...

Sounds fun to me! Good work! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails