Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Catching Up December: Christmas Eve 12/24

On Christmas Eve we had a low-key day at home in the morning as we enjoyed the snow... That's right! It was SNOWING, people! In Texas! For Christmas! We Texans get really excited about little things like that. About 2:00pm, we headed to our church for the Christmas Eve Service driving excitedly through the snow. It was a beautiful service - exactly what I think a Christmas Eve Service should be. We had all the kids with us which is unusual, and we focused on the reason that we celebrate Christmas (and on not kicking the lady's chair in front of us). We ended our time at church by singing Silent Night to candle light, and I couldn't resist taking a few photos.


After church, we were going to come home and eat dinner, but the kids protested... we have gone to a local Italian restaurant for 2 years before this one, and that makes it a vital part of our Christmas Eve traditions to them. And I must say that I kind of like that tradition too! We had a nice, festive meal, and it snowed the entire time that we ate. When we headed home the roads had started to get pretty slippery. It took us twice as long to get home from the restaurant as it usually does, but it was a fun drive - in the snow, listening to Christmas carols, and telling the kids stories of when my Pap used to take us for drives to look for Rudolph's nose on Christmas Eve when I was a little girl.


~ the cold kids outside of the restaurant ~
This is what our house looked like when we arrived home.
(taken with iPhone)
(taken with my good camera)
We were certainly excited about having a White Christmas!
~ the kids with our dog, Milly ~
~ Corey & the kids ~
~ ready to open their Christmas PJs ~
(a tradition that we've had for years)
Daddy & the kids made cookies for Santa.
I had thought that we would make cookies the night before this - just because we had time - and was informed that, "We make cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve! That is our tradition!" Can you tell that we have a few traditions?... And we like it that way. :)
~ choosing cookie cutters ~
~ Cooper & Daddy making cookies ~
~ Mommy & Cooper making Christmas Breakfast ~
~ milk & cookies for Santa with a note from Cooper ~
~ Cooper & Allie ~
Earlier in the night Jack said, "Mom, I just can't take it. I have to go to sleep."
~ my beautiful girl ~
~ bedtime story ~
I don't think that Cooper has ever fallen asleep so quickly. He was so excited and ready for Santa to come visit!
~ goodnight kisses ~

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I can't believe you actually BAKE the cookies on Christmas Eve! What time did you all go to bed??

Mama Jeannie said...

Beautiful memories Amy. I'm lovin' all your 'catch-up' posts right now. Wonderful reading for this Mama/Gibbie.

Sara said...

Great post! I love your traditions!!! And that pic of the kids and Millie is REALLY good!!! Christmas card worthy...too late for that I guess. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails