Friday, March 19, 2010

Fishing Buddies

Yesterday Corey took Jack fishing.  There are many things that Corey is good at, and being a daddy is at the top of that list!  He loves all of his kids with a passion and devotion that I am honored to get to observe from an insider's point of view.  Corey's father passed away when he was 13, and I think because of that he has a perspective on fatherhood and the way that precious things can slip away and the importance of seizing the moment that many people do not understand when their kids are little.  He had a great relationship with his dad.  They shared some very good times together, and most of Corey's happy memories from childhood involve his dad.  While I know that Corey's dad had to have made mistakes, when I met 18-year-old Corey you would not have known that it was possible from the way that he talked about him.  I never got to meet my father-in-law, but I am pretty sure that he has a lot to do with the man that I get to be married to.  I just bet that all of those hours that he spent with Corey when he was a little boy teaching him to hunt and fish and be kind and resourceful and a hard worker made him into a man that is a good daddy like his own.  And yesterday, he was a good daddy... teaching his little boy to live a good life through spending time in the great outdoors like his dad did for him.  He took time away from all the work that constantly awaits him to invest in Jack and make memories with him... just like he's been doing for years.


~ Corey buying Jackson his first fishing pole ~
May 2003

~ their first time to fish together ~
Jack was 3 years old, May 2003

My little fisherman is growing up! 
~ March 2010 ~



3 comments:

Emily said...

He is a great dad! I love that picture of Jack fishing!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Love that picture of Jack fishing!

Mama Jeannie said...

I am sitting here crying quiet tears. I love the way you have honored your husband as a father and how you have honored the memory of Corey's dad. Precious post Amy and a treasure to hold safely for generations to come. I love you... and I love Corey. I deeply admire the man he had to be at such a young age and the man he has become.

Related Posts with Thumbnails