Sunday, November 15, 2009

13 Photos Of My 13 Year Old

Since I have been on a blog-break, something very important has happened. My baby girl turned 13! (In fact, all the celebrating from that is part of why I have been on a blog-break.) At some point between that day 13 years ago when my life changed for the better and now I blinked... and now my little black headed, dark skinned, teeny-tiny baby girl is a beautiful, thoughtful, creative, responsible teenager. I have had several people ask me what it is like to have a teenager... to be the mom of a teenager. Is it any different than the day before when I was a mom to a 12 year old? Well obviously, nothing changed on the morning of October 31st when I awoke and my daughter was 13 instead of 12, but something substantial has been taking place during the last year or so. Allie has been changing and growing and maturing, and so has our relationship. We are not "there" yet - we both still have a lot of growing to do, but to answer those questions... yes, it is different to have a teenager... or at least to have my teenager. In many ways it is easier than when she was an infant that woke at night or a toddler that was as strong-willed as any child that I have ever seen, but in some ways it is immensely harder. I feel like, more than ever, that I can't mess this up. If I do, it is the course of her life that is at stake... not just that her schedule gets out of whack. There is more emotion - on her part and mine - than I think we have ever had. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is challenging. For the most part - and I know that we are just getting started - it is the best time that I have had in her life. It is wonderful to get glimpses of the woman that she is growing into. It is amazing to share a conversation where she shares her thoughts. It is an honor to be the mother of the one and only 13 year old Allie Jill, and I look forward to seeing what 14, and 15, and 16... and 20, and 40 hold for my baby girl.


Every day I think that Allie is beautiful, and on this day - shortly before her birthday - I took some pictures of her when she came home from school to mark this point in time. Here, in honor of her 13th birthday, are the 13 photos from that shoot that I liked the most.













Happy Birthday, Allie Cat!

I'll love you forever.
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful!!!

Alicia said...

So Amy...she looks exactly like you! So BEAUTIFUL!!!

Sara said...

SIGH! I'm speechless...:)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I may have to stop reading all these birthday posts ... they're making my eyes well up. What a beautiful girl Allie is.

Related Posts with Thumbnails