Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day

Yesterday was Allie's first day of 6th grade.  At a new school! For her 6 previous years of school she has been at the same school.  With the same friends - friends that we  know well.  With teachers that we know or knew of.  In a classroom with the same teacher all day, every day.  Yesterday, not only was she going to a place that the friends and teachers and curriculum and atmosphere would be different... she was going to change rooms for every class for the first time ever and was going to be intermixed with kids through 12th grade.  It was a big step.  (maybe bigger for the mommy than the kid :) )  Allie impressed me so much as she confidently stepped up to the challenge.  She was excited about her new school and all that awaited her there.


~ our first-day-of-school morning at home ~
~ the traditional pancake by Daddy ~
~ the traditional in-front-of-the-house  first-day-of-school pictures ~
(This is the first year that Allie has ever not worn a uniform to school, so the back-to-school clothes shopping was a fun experience for this fashion-loving, shopping-loving girl this year!


~ pictures with the family ~



I was not sure if Allie was going to "allow" me to come into the school with my camera this year like I have always done, but she was very gracious and said that I could.  Thankfully, I was not the only mommy that was documenting her child's first day of school.  :)

The whole day that Allie was gone to school I was so anxious for her to get home and tell me all  about it!  Information doesn't flow freely from Miss Allie, so I had to ask her lots of questions.  I was beyond thrilled that she had a great day!  She liked her classes and teachers and loved one teacher in particular.  She made some friends.  She ate lunch outside with a group of girls.  And Math was her favorite class of the day!  

The decision to try a new school was a very, very hard one for us, so to have Allie come home excited about learning, a new school, and new friends... I can't even put those feelings into words!

6 comments:

Emily said...

I am so glad that she had a good first day!!! While I was reading this post Claire walked up and said "Awwww Allie, I love her so much!" word for word

Jenny said...

So glad she had a great first day!

Elizabeth said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad her first day was a good one. Sounds like a perfect school for her - from what you've told me.

Mama Jeannie said...

A perfecto day for sure. Allie, you are so blessed to have a family who loves you thaaaaaaat much! Glad your first day was so much fun and that you've already begun to enjoy new friendships. I love you Allie Cat.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm so glad it went well! I know you were nervous, Amy.

Stephanie said...

So glad to hear the first day went great!! Very exciting, and what a great relief to know she had such a good time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails