Monday, August 25, 2008

My Girl

This is it.  The eve of my little girl's first day of school.  A new school.  A new chapter.  


As I talked to a friend today and she told me about the memories of her little one's preschool days flooding her head before her son's first day of school, my own memories of my sweet Allie flooded mine.  

Wasn't it yesterday that I made you that blanket for rest time at Mother's Day Out?  or took pictures of you on the first day of kindergarten by our little pond?  or walked you into the school and kissed you goodbye at your desk?  or passed by your classroom door over and over to make sure that you were really okay?  

Last Thursday I took Allie out for a special lunch - just her and me - after her new school's orientation.  I didn't realize that I was doing anything out of the ordinary, but Allie said, "Why do you keep looking at me like that?"  I told her that one day when her daughter is growing up, she is going to call me and say, "Mom?  Remember that day at Chili's when I was about to start 6th grade?  Now I know what you were thinking..."  There is no way to explain it to her now.  The deep love that I was feeling for her in that moment.  Being overwhelmed by the memories I have of my little bitty girl and the feelings that I have for her now and the unknowns of this next chapter of her life... the one in which she grows beyond what either of us could have imagined while we sat in that booth at Chili's.  As tears pooled in my eyes I thought, "I didn't realize that she could see through me."  I should have, but I didn't.  Allie has always had intuition beyond her years.  She is very mature and dependable and responsible.  She knows how I do things... and sometimes how I should do things differently... and she is good at taking care of our family along side of me.  I don't know what I would do without her!

Allie Cat, 
I'll love you forever.  I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.
~Mommy   

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am crying for a few reasons...I can't believe that our girl is starting SIXTH grade. She will always be super special to me. Also, it is brought to the front of my mind that one day I will be sitting across from my baby girl thinking where did the years go. I love you and Allie VERY much!!!

Elizabeth said...

Oh Amy - I'm sitting here in tears. It's so hard watching our babies grow up - I guess bittersweet is a better word. Allie is precious - and so are you.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That was a tear jerker. I hope she loves her new school, has piles of Godly friends, and remembers this as one of her best years so far.

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! That day has come that I knew surely would one day. The emotions of yesteryear spill over once again... from generation to generation. Some things never change and some things we would never wish to change. Such love in a mother's heart, isn't there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails