Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jack's First Day of 3rd Grade

Today was Jack's first day of school.  I can't believe that my little buddy is in the 3rd grade.  No matter how long I am a parent, I don't think that I will ever get used to how fast time escapes me and how quickly my little ones grow and change and mature.  This year, Jack was really excited about starting school.  He loves his friends and he loves to learn, so he loves school.  I am not sure that I was ready for the care-free days of summer to be over, for the early mornings, and for all of the work and organization that is required of me as a homeschool mommy, but ready or not... it is here.  And after this first school day came and went, I am feeling a lot better about it.  I think that I can do it again.  I think.  ;)  

This is the first year that the big kids have not started school on the same day.  Allie is going to a new school this year, and she does not start until next week.  It was different to take "First Day of School Photos" without her and to drive up to the school that she attended for 6 years and for it to not be "her school", but we both feel great about the decision that we made to try a new school... change just feels weird. 

Here is a glimpse into the way that Jack's first day of school went... 

Every year Corey makes Smiley Face Pancakes for the kids on their first day of school.  They'll be going to their first day of high school someday... after they eat their Smiley Face Pancakes.  Who knows... we might even show up at their dorm someday with a hot plate and a skillet.  
We love traditions in our family!
Pictures in the front yard... another tradition.  
This year felt a little different with Jack posing by himself... in a different front yard than all of the other years that he has been on his way to school.  Also, it was raining and cool... a first for this Texan family.
Jack was super-excited about his first day of school!
~brothers~
Yep, Cooper was still wearing the Batman mask!  
He even wore it into the school to drop Jack off.
~Jack & Daddy~
~sitting at his desk~
~Jack & Mommy~
~Allie & Jack~

6 comments:

Emily said...

Even though it was a different first day it looked like a good one. I have no doubt that you will be back in the swing of things in no time. I cannot believe that he is in the third freakin grade...holy toledo!!!

Amanda said...

Congratulations on surviving your first day, mommy! I know all the change had to be a challenge, but I'm sure you handled it with such lovely grace. Jack looks remarkably older this year!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Love the pancake tradition! Guess you'll be doing it again next week for Allie, huh? Hope it's a great year for Jack!

Stacy said...

Jack looks so grown up! Hope he had a great 1st day! (and Mom did too!) Love the Batman mask..that Cooper is such a ham!

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! Jack looks so handsome on his first day of school. Can't believe he's in the third grade either. Time gets by faster than fast for sure. I love the idea of high school pancakes and you and Corey showing up at a college dorm with pancake batter and a skillet. So funny.

Kate said...

I'm a reader of your sister's blog...and popped over here from there. I have a Jack of my own...great pictures...reminded me of my childhood--we had pics in the front yard on the 1st day of school, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails