Sunday, August 17, 2008

"The Place"

This afternoon after our time with my extended family we went to the place that our family calls... The Place.  It is land that Corey's family owns outside of the little town that we grew up in.  Corey has wonderful memories of times spent with his family at The Place from his childhood.  Many of his most special memories of being a kid involve hunting or spending time with his dad.  The Place is the place that many of those events occurred.  In the last several years he has taken Jack to The Place many times as he has begun to make memories with his son like his dad did with him.  Allie and I usually do some memory making and hunting of our own while the guys are gone on their hunting trips (our usually involves hunting for bargains though), and for now Cooper has to join our hunting trips as opposed to the boys'.  (His time with the guys is coming...)  It has been several years since all of us have been to The Place together.  We have dreams of having a cabin there someday that we can all go spend time at, but for now it is a bit too "rough" for us girly-girls and the baby boy.  But today, since we were relatively close to that neck of the woods, Corey drug -- I mean, "took" -- us all along on what was supposed to be "cutting down one tree".  2 hours (and more than one tree) later we left The Place.  :)  We then went on a country drive to look for deer and took the kids on a tour of our little town... where we lived, where he proposed, where we got married... You know... all the stuff that your parents bored you with years and years ago.  :)  No, really... I think that they liked it. 


~ the road into The Place ~
I honestly don't know how city kids learn to drive.  
This is how it is done in the country.

Right now Jack is the age that his daddy was when he killed his first deer.  He has every intention of following in his footsteps this fall.  Yikes!  Hopefully, I'll be at the mall for that event.  :)
~ Corey cutting down "one tree" ~
(one of them, anyway)
~ Corey in one of his hunting stands ~


It rained almost the entire time that Corey was working, so the kids and I had to sit in the van.   I took pictures of the kids' visit to The Place as well as I could from inside.


I enjoyed "shooting" deer today with my camera.  :)
~ little buck ~


~ mama & baby ~
Every time that we drive through our little town I get all nostalgic.  It is charming and beautiful in a way that I think was impossible to see when I was a teenager.  I love it there and wish that there was still family there for us to visit, so we could go more often.  This is the court house that has recently been remodeled.  It was my first time to see it, and I was impressed.  

And just to remind me that I am now officially a "city girl"... 
I laughed so hard at this sign on the side of the road.  I mean, it is really sad that this cow is missing, but I can honestly say that the missing pet signs that I have seen before have never included much more than a cat or a dog.  
Hilarious!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

that sign is so stinking funny!!! only in the country, right?

the pictures of the rolling hills and deer are just beautiful.

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! How beautiful Amy. Makes me wish we lived there again so you could come visit us, so that I too could go out to "The Place" and go deer hunting... with a camera... too. Thanks for taking us on your Saturday afternoon journey... and you got to feel the rain. YEA!!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That's so neat! How great it would be to have a cabin there some day.

Emily said...

I miss Meridian too. The courthouse looks so nice now. There are just no words for that sign besides HI-Freakin-Larious!!!

Julie said...

That sign is great!

Wow, Corey was really, really high in that tree, yikes.

Corey Powell said...

I like to get high.

Sara said...

I LOVE those ALL of those pictures! Thanks for recording memories for all of us! It makes me feel like I'm there! And the cow sign IS hilarious!

Sara said...

I wish Mom and Dad lived there too. But I can't say that I can see Mom "deer hunting with a camera". That's a pretty funny picture! =)

Sara said...

Corey likes to get high. I'm not surprised! And...great idea on having a cabin there someday!!!

Mama Jeannie said...

Where the heck do you think you girls got the love of photography for Pete's sake? I may not be as good as some of you, but I've always loved to take pictures until the rug of confidence was pulled out from under me. Plus, why take pics if y'all are taking such awesome ones that you share? You wouldn't want mine anyway when I kick the bucket someday, so by not taking pictures you will save on garbage bags. :0) Just call me 'green'-minded.

Related Posts with Thumbnails