Wednesday, August 26, 2009

NASA (in a nutshell)

This is the last time that I will speak of our trip to Houston (and Galveston) as long as I shall live... or until we go back someday, anyway.

On our last day in Houston we visited the Space Center and NASA. It was a great day, overall... but let me just get this off my chest...

This is NASA to a 4 year old...
A gigantic play-place that is front and center when you walk through the doors of the Space Center. All it is is a McDonald's play-place on steroids... and something for a 4 year old to whine about for hours - and hours and hours - on end while his family is trying- really, really hard - to enjoy their time learning about space and rocket ships and astronauts... and could care less about the gigantic Chuck-E.-Cheese-land at the front of the building. Not that I'm bitter... I'm just saying, if you plan a trip to the Space Center with little ones, you might want to blind fold them while you pass by this monstrosity. After you pass it, there is plenty for them to see and do and enjoy... and the play-place could be a fun cherry-on-top at the end of your day.

Okay, moving on... Here are a few photos of what we saw at NASA:



~ Jack in space ~
(This photo was his idea... He jumped into the air (several times - to get the perfect shot), and I helped him by flipping it over when I got it on to the computer.)



There were 2 "tram tours" that took people from the Space Center to NASA. We only had time to go on one of them, and here is what we saw:

I'm not sure if it is officially called the "Control Room", but I think it might be.
These trees are in memory of the lost astronauts. The tram stopped and had a moment of silence beside them.



We actually have a couple of friends that are astronauts. In 1989 Corey's mom moved to Houston to be a live-in nanny for a couple that are both astronauts, Rhea Seddon & Hoot Gibson, and their kids. 20 years later, she is still living with them. She has gotten to go to be a part of a few launches and landings for both of them. So, while were were at the Space Center we hunted down their photos on the wall of all of the astronauts and missions. Here are 2 of them:

Rhea is the blonde female on the front row.
Hoot is the man in the center of the back row.

6 comments:

Mama Jeannie said...

That is soooo cool Amy!! So glad you guys got to experience something like this and that you got to see pics of Rhea and Hoot. I agree with you on the HUGE Chucky-Cheese monstrosity being at the end of the tour instead of at the front end. Bad idea; bad bad bad idea.

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh, I forgot to say how impressed I am with that shot of Jack looking like he's floating in space. How creative for both of you. :0)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Despite the play place issue, that looked like a great day. I haven't been there for about fifteen years and it looks like it's changed a lot.

I love Jack's space photo!

Jenny said...

Oh, I haven't been to NASA since I was probably Jack's age. None of it looks familiar. But it looks like an amazing place to take the family- especially when they're a bit older to appreciate it.

How cool that you know real astronauts!!! I mean, who knows a real astronaut??!!! You do! Wild! Seriously.

And, yes Jack's photo is way cool. Coop cracks me up. Who can blame him? It looks like a pretty awesome play place!

Emily said...

What a fun day, minus the Cooper break down (the picture of Corey holding him is miserably hilarious). I will also say that I love the Jack "floating" picture.

amy said...

Looks like a great time. Hey - no one is judging you... I still haven't posted the rest of our vacation pics from the end of July! ha, ha

I think Jack's pic is pretty cool too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails