Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Our Vacation - The Long Version

So, here is the run-down of our wonderful, quick mountain trip.

Last week...

Monday -

We decided to go to the mountains this Thursday afternoon after Corey worked a 1/2 day.

Wednesday -

Corey called me at 2:00 in the afternoon, and said, "Let's go ahead and leave today." Nothing was packed, but we pulled it together in record time.

At 6:00 someone showed up, unannounced, for a showing of our house. We were not completely packed and Corey was in the shower, but we threw it all in the car and were gone in about 15 minutes then we ran a few errands before we headed out.

We arrived at my granparents' sometime in the middle of the night - 1:30ish, I think. We sat up and talked with them for an hour or so. It was wonderful hearing their stories... the first time he saw her, living in the mountains as a boy, trips their family had made to the mountains, etc. I wish I could record all of the stories that they have told me in my life. I love them all.

Thursday -

The alarms (yes, 2 of them) went off at 5am. Corey turned them both off. Too tired. Grandad woke us up a little later, and we enjoyed making and eating breakfast and more conversation with my grandparents.

At 9am we got on the road. After a very long stop and getting lost in Amarillo and taking a wrong road in New Mexico, we FINALLY got to Red River and found a camping spot.




It is luck-of-the draw, which spot you get, and ours was pretty good... on the river, near the restroom, and close to bridge that leads to Fawn Lakes. We got the tent up but had not bought groceries yet, so we went to town to eat dinner and go to Der Markt - the tiny little grocery store in town. We ate outside on the deck overlooking the river and the ski mountains at Capo's - the little Italian restraunt - like we do every time we are in town. It was great. The kids threw rocks in the river while we waited for our food. After dinner we went to the tiny, overpriced, old, but somehow quaint grocery store. When we were getting into the car, it started to rain. No big deal. It rains almost every day in the mountains - for a little while. We were all tired from our long day in the car anyway, so we just went back to the tent and all read by the light of our flashlights UNTIL the drips started. At first it was not too bad. The tent leaked a little, but we had towels and were sopping up all that we could. Corey even went out in the pouring rain and worked on the tent so it would drain better and dug a trench so the water would not accumulate by our tent. We got all tucked in again realizing that it might not be the most comfortable night ever, but we would survive. Then we dozed off.... About an hour or so later I rolled over in my sleep, and the pond that had accumulated on the other side of the bed followed me! I am not talking "a little damp" here, people. I was WET! I turned my flashlight on and shined it at the celing. It was RAINING in our tent! I shined the light over to my kids, and it looked like they had been sprinkled by a watering can all over their sleeping bags - although they were sleeping through it. Knowing that it was only going to get colder and that this was no "mountain shower" but was a full blown rain storm, we decided to load everyone up - In the rain. In the middle of the night. - and go to town to find a hotel room. I had taken my socks off, so they would not get wet, and my feet were literally "pruney" from the amount of rain on the tent floor! As you can imagine, not much is open in the middle of the night in the tiny town of Red River, so we went from hotel to hotel until we found one that had a vacancy - and a kitchen for all of our newly purchased groceries. Again, we moved all of the kids. Allie was able to stumble to the room on her own, Jack never woke up through out the whole ordeal, and Cooper was very confused - to put it mildly. He cried and cried and cried saying, "I want to go home!" Finally, we all got settled, and got to sleep sometime in the middle of that night.

Friday -

We woke up in our nice warm beds. Jack was scared when he woke up as he did not know where he was or how he got there. We cooked a big breakfast, drank hot chocolate by the fire, and opened up all of the windows and doors to breathe in the mountain air. Then, we went to our campsite to assess the damage and get our wet blankets, pillows, and sleeping bags, so we could let them dry. We played there for a while then came back to town. We laid all of our things out to dry then Allie & I went shopping and the boys rested in the room. Then, Jack & Corey went fishing and the girls rested in the room. After that, we all went to the little shops and the local playground. We spent the evening in the room - fire in the fireplace and windows open again. It was so wonderful. We broke down and watched some TV, but even that we so enjoyable and relaxing.





Saturday & Sunday -

We spent the morning in town because we knew once we got back to our campsite, we would not want to leave. We went swimming at our hotel (cold!!!), the kids found a patch of snow, we rented the funniest little car for an hour and took turns driving around town, the kids played at the park, and we took family pictures at the bridge over the Red River - like we do every trip. When we got back to the campground we did our favorite mountian things - throwing rocks in the river, digging in the dirt, reading books, sitting by the campfire, roasting hot dogs, making s'mores, going on walks, fishing, napping, playing games and singing songs with the kids... It was perfect. Also, Jack and Corey went on a special hike where Corey gave Jack his first pocket knife. A little nerve wracking for the mama, but Jack sure was proud! Oh yeah, we also Scotchgaurded the tent and hung an extra tarp over it for good measure.










Monday -

We woke up to our last glorious morning in the mountains, ate breakfast, and broke camp. I sat by the river and had a little cry - I love it there so much and did not want to come home to all that awaited me here. The kids and I fit in another walk to "the island" that they had discovered in the river then we all loaded up and headed to town. By that time, it was lunchtime, so we stopped at another Red River favorite of our family's - Shotgun Willie's- and ate. After a little souvenier shopping, we were off.






We made a stop in the Cimarron Canyon for a few family traditions... to take a drink out of "the drinking log" (more on that to come in a future entry) and to take a picture by the Palisades - or as Jack called them "the Poweraides". When we got back in the car, we rode with the windows down and felt the mountain air until we were out of the beautiful Rockies.





We drove, and drove, and drove. We only made one "big stop" after the mountains and that was at the Cadillac Ranch. It was cool! We had always heard of it but had never seen it. When it was almost 11pm, and Cooper had not slept at all and was unhappy - to say the least - that he was still in his carseat we decided to stop at my grandparents'. Our "4 hour trip" to Clarendon - where they live - took 7 hours. We had planned to drive straight through to get home, - Corey had a 9 am and a 10 am appointment the next day - but at the last minute, we decided to stop and sleep at Grandma & Grandad's for a little while. When I called and let them know that we were going to drop in - last minute and late at night - I apologized to my Grandma for the inconvienience. She said, "I'm your Grandma. That is what Grandma's do." I felt so loved just from hearing that little statement.



Tuesday (today) -

At 4:00am Corey's alarm went off and by 4:30 we were on the road. All the kids stayed/ went right back to sleep and slept until we were about an hour from home. That was a huge blessing! We pulled into town about 9:30am, Corey jumped in the shower and was off to work by 10:00. I have spent the day trying to acclimate to real life as I revel in the memories of the mountains.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am so hlad that you had the chance to go "home" for a few days. I wish that you could have that peaceful feeling all the time, but it would be sad if you lived so far away. I guess it is a good thing that Allan works for the airlines just in case you ever do move...I would have to visit VERY often!!!

Elizabeth said...

Amy, it's so beautiful there! I could almost, ALMOST! feel the cool mountain air too. Wow, I want to go!!! :-)

Great pictures too. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Mama Jeannie said...

My sweet Amy girl,
You made me long for the mountains through your story... rain storm and all. :0) I remember in years past, a few little tears rolling out of my eyes upon leaving such beauty and the peacefulness that comes along with a few days far away from the cares of this life. We all need those times more than we know I believe. I wonder if we really did live there, if we would appreciate and love the mountains like we do with only an occasional or even a yearly visit? Would be fun to try it, wouldn't it? I love you.

Ila Brook said...

I'm so glad you were able to recharge a bit. It looks like you all had a wonderful time. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails