Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Last Day of Summer

I just got my little ones tucked in on this First Day of School Eve. We have backpacks loaded down with supplies, names on everything from books to glue sticks, notebooks in order, and uniforms laid out. I think that we are almost prepared. We celebrated this evening by going to the neighborhood pool and ordering pizza for dinner. It was really fun.

I cannot believe that summer has come to an end! It flew. Just yesterday, it seems, the kids were starting 1st and 4th grade, and now a year has come and gone. I feel like digging my heels in and yelling, "Wait! Stop! They were just my babies!" Now they are not. Every year on the night before the first day of school I get all nostalgic. I remember tucking them in in their little diapers and footed pjs. Sticking a paci in their mouths and giving one of them their beloved "silky". Tonight they gave themselves baths and dressed themselves for bed. Neither wanted or needed a security item. Tomorrow they take another step into the big, big world. Out of my care. Away from my eyes. I pray that we have prepared them. That they remember their manners, that they are kind to their classmates, that they are respectful to their teachers. I hope that they have tough enough skin to handle the unkind things that kids say and the insensitivity of some adults. I hope that their hearts don't get broken and their feelings don't get hurt. I hope that they are as anxious for 3:00 to get here tomorrow afternoon as I will be, and that they will spill their thoughts out to me about their days at school. Most of all, I hope that they are happy. Secure in the fact that we love them.

Well, I am off to pack lunches and finish getting ready for the big day ahead. The alarm clock - a sound that I have not heard much of in 3 months - will go off before I know it.


The First Day of School Last Year - Jack, 1st Grade & Allie, 4th Grade.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails