Friday, August 17, 2007

My Boy Is Growing Up.


This afternoon Corey and Jack left to go to "The Place" (land that Corey's family owns) to get it ready for hunting season. Corey has taken Jack hunting the last 2 years which I think mostly involved climbing up into stands and looking for deer - not many were found and none were shot. However, they both have big plans that Jack will kill his first deer this year - Corey was 7 (like Jack) when he killed his first deer. I am not sure how that will actually go over once it happens to my tender hearted little guy, but I love that they are developing this bond... Corey has such fond memories of times spent doing these kinds of things with his dad. Since his dad died when he was 13, those memories are all that he has. He cherishes everything about them - from the way he remembers sleeping by his dad to the stops that they would make for ice cream after a weekend at The Place. Things that most of us take for granted or don't even remember from our childhood. So, I know that Corey is thrilled to have a little boy to relive all of those special times with, and I am happy for him. Thankful that Corey loves investing his time with is son. Thankful that he knows that a hunting trip is much more than a hunting trip - it is a time of developing a deep relationship, teaching his son how to be the man that we want him to be... a man like himself. But as I see them pack up the car to go be "manly men", I am reminded that my Jack is growing up... too quickly. I can't wait to see the person that he is growing into while I am pulled by my heart to long for him to always be my little boy - safe at home under my protective watch.

photos are from the night of their Modern Day Knight ceremony - 10/06

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails