Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Things I Appriciate Because of 6 Flags...

Who would think that a near-100-degree day with 5 kids at 6 Flags would make me think about how thankful I am for my life? I was inspired to think about this yesterday at 6 Flags after watching a beautiful, happy lady cross the walkway with her beautiful kids as I sat and watched my kids happily scream with joy as they rode Crazy Legs for the third time. I thought about a dear friend of mine that has been really, really sick for years. Because of her health, she has missed out on many things with her kids. I got to thinking that, short of a miracle, she may never get to experience a simple thing like taking her little ones to an amusement park and watching their faces light up with excitement as they discover that they can, in fact, survive a roller coaster... among many other things. I became so thankful for my life as I watched this stranger-lady and thought of my friend. We all have our challenges, but having your family and your health to enjoy them can supercede many of those challenges. So, because of my 6 Flags Day... here are some of the things that I thought of that I am thankful that I get to enjoy in this little life of mine...

*My health and the health of my family

*A husband that values his family more than anything on earth and works to make special things happen in their lives - Corey has such an entrepreneurial heart. That is a good thing, but it also means that his monetary success is totally dependant on his time and effort right now. No career ladder or fast-track going on for him. That would take some men away from their family indefinitely. But, he does such a great balancing act with his family, his clients, his need to take care of his company, his need to take care of us. He finds many ½ days, evenings, and weekends to squeeze valuable time with us into his life. We know that we are a priority to him, and that he’d drop everything for us if we needed him. I love that about him!

*Friends that raise their kids in a very similar way that we raise ours - The kids took 3 friends with us to the park and they were great! What could have been a day full of chaos and sibling spats was a fun, peaceful day. No, the 5 kids weren’t perfect, but you can tell when kids have been raised to be respectful, polite, thankful, and kind.

*A great friend that I can trust completely - The friend that has the 3 kids that we took to 6 Flags also has a little one. When I asked if her 3 older ones could join us at the park, she offered to watch my baby. It was so great to spend special time with the big kids and get to move at a non-stroller speed through the park while knowing that Cooper was happily playing with his little friend and was well taken care of.

*My Cooper - After a day without the little guy, I missed him like crazy. I appreciate so much that I got to have him - another chance at parenthood. I love to be with him, and any time I am away from him I miss him.

*Air conditioning and cool breezes - It was nearly 100 degrees. Need I say more?

*Last but not least... I appreciate the engineers and safety codes that keep those physics-defying, super-fun roller coasters up and running. I love them. This trip to 6 Flags, both of my big kids tried their first big coaster and loved it. I am hopeful that in the next few years, we will all be doing loopty-loops together.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails