Friday, May 22, 2009

Allie's Volcano

This week several classes from Allie's school met at a student's house for a morning of teaching in the backyard then science demonstrations done by the kids. The 6th grade (Allie's class) had all built volcanos then they exploded them for their audience of classmates, parents, and grandparents. It was so neat. No two volcanos were alike. (One was even edible.) I was very proud of Allie as she stood in front of a group of strangers and talked about her volcano and the process that she used to make the explosion!


After all of the volcano explosions, the 7th graders showed off their skills as they each got into boats that they had built and navigated them around the pool without sinking. (We have to do this project next year. Eeek!) Then, all the kids jumped in the water for a fun swim party.

I just love Allie's school! While she is learning so much, she is having fun doing it. It is very hands on and not tedious for her at all. With the freedom to learn without many boundries this year, I have seen her flourish. She has come to the point of doing almost all of her work at home independantly. She is very responsible and creative and smart. In one week, she will be done with school, and I will have a 7th grader on my hands. Oh my goodness --- I remember 7th grade so well! Wasn't it just yesterday?

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sam and Scott did a volcano experiment for Science this week too! How crazy is that? I took pictures thinking I might blog... ha!

Sara said...

I love her school too...just because she loves it so much!!! I'm so happy that she's flourishing there! And I can't BELIEVE that she's almost a 7th grader!!!!!!

Mama Jeannie said...

I can hardly believe Allie is nearly a teenager!! Kinda brings a lump up in my throat, but at the same time, I'm so so so happy she is happy in her school and doing so well. AWESOME!!! Loved the volcano Allie. I'm so proud of you. Maybe next year I can come watch your boat float. :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails