Wednesday, May 6, 2009

To Vacation or Not To Vacation... That Is The Question


I have not blogged in a while, and to tell you the truth I think that it is because of Swine Flu. What?!? You didn't hear that loss of blogging abilities was a symptom of Swine Flu? Well, it is. And it is serious... at least to me.


Here's the deal... Remember that little trip that Corey and I are scheduled to take to celebrate his 40th birthday? The one that I saved for secretly for a year? The one that is supposed to be our first-ever trip to a beautiful beach? The one that we worked and worked and worked to schedule? The one that I had coordinated child care and dog care and a taxi and schooling and sports events, etc. for? The one that I have been counting down weeks and days and hours for? Yeah, that one. Well, that trip involves a little place called Mexico... You might have heard of it. It happens to have been in the news just a teeny, tiny bit recently with regards to the Swine Flu epidemic.

Well, for the past week words like Swine Flu and Mexico and quarantine and government and conspiracy and CDC and WHO and travel and vacation and health and safety and germs and antibacterial have been the source of quite a bit of stress for me. Frankly, I didn't want to share my absolute hysteria... umm, I mean concern with you. And, to tell you the truth, I have had trouble having a "happy heart" in the midst of it all.

At first I was sure that the response to the Swine Flu thing was total a over-reaction, but after the schools and churches and sports leagues (and many other things) began to close and the news stories that were being told (or perhaps exaggerated or fabricated) were getting scarier and scarier, I began to get nervous that this was, in fact, a big deal. By last weekend I was almost sure that our trip would need to be canceled, and I was sad - like really, really sad! Corey has not been concerned half as much as I have been, but I have this little thing called maternal instinct that wants to make sure that I will arrive home to my children in a timely, safe manor after this care-free, romantic vacation is over. He, on the other hand, saw an adventure... a chance to go where no man has gone... and all that other manly-kind-of-stuff (my words, not his), so he was not giving up on the idea of going on our trip easily. That left me in the position to be the person that decides to ruin the fun for both of us... or not. So, I have been reading everything that I can, asking people in the medical community what they think, and preparing a just-in-case-we-go list while not getting even an ounce of my hopes up.

Over the last few days, though, I have been coming around to the idea that it will probably be safe for us to go... as safe as it is to do many other things that we do on a daily basis, anyway. I have done a few precautionary things like get an in-case-I-need-it prescription for Tamiflu from my doctor, and yesterday I allowed my brain to begin shifting gears into we-might-actually-get-to-do-this mode.

Last night, Corey and I went on a shopping trip where I picked up some new, much needed flip flops, some oh-so-(not)-sexy water shoes, and a couple of sundresses to add to my already purchased stash of sunscreen, water cameras, and swimsuit cover-ups. (I still need to stock up on all that antibacterial kind of stuff.) We topped our shopping trip off with a Cinco de Mayo dinner at Cozymels, and while I was sitting there I actually felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. I knew I had been stressed about this trip-thing, but I don't think that I realized just how stressed I was. After a dinner that got me in the mood to go to a place as festive as the decor of the restaurant, I came home and did a style show of the things that I had bought. When I walked out of my room, Cooper's eyes lit up and he slowly said, "Mommy, you look beautiful!" (Do I even have to say this? --- I love that kid!!!) He later told me I looked like a princess and complimented my pretty dresses. (I swear, that little boy absolutely made my day!)

As of today, I am still not positive what will happen with our trip. I have decided to go on about my business like I am going, but obviously I am prepared to throw in the towel if I think that I will be in any danger. I think that I will allow myself to get excited, and I might even put a few things in a suitcase soon. If all goes as planned, we will leave for Mexico one week from today... and in exactly 7 days I will be laying on a beach looking at something like this...

Adios, amigos!

7 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I so hope you guys can go. Unless things suddenly get really bad, there doesn't seem to be much need to stay home. I hope it ends up being a restful, relaxing, romantic rendezvous (I was going to say "trip" but had to stick to 'r' words after all that alliteration).

Jenny said...

You should absolutely go! Don't even consider NOT going! Pack those bags and think positive.

krista said...

I think you guys should go and have an amazing thing. Unless the epidemic takes a turn for the worst in the next few days, I vote GO :) I understand your concern though. I would be having a hard time too. I hope you get to go and ENJOY.

chelsea rose said...

You should go---the worst is over. Have fun, I'm so jealous, the beach looks amazing:)

Stacy said...

You should definitely go. I'm sure they don't have any pigs to kiss or anything...have a great time. You two deserve it!

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my Amy-girl. I so hope you get to go! I want to see pictures of your pretty dresses and your cute flip-flops. Isn't Cooper the best encourager these days? So cute. I've heard things are getting better in Mexico as far as the flu, but I think you are wise to take common sense precautions anyway. To tell you the truth, I'm much more peaceful about your vacation... after being a bit stressed at the thought of my child being trapped in a country struggling with such disease and war. I am now leaning toward the thought that our media, has in fact, taken a tragic problem and, as they usually do, have blown it entirely out of proportion. you'd think we would all see through their schemes and agendas by now, wouldn't you? Kinda like the "little boy who cried wolf". Mostly our media is so full of it, but if we watch their stuff, it's hard not to wonder if they might actually tell the truth at some point. I guess not. Anyway, when you go to Mexico to that beautiful beach, please send lots of pictures, OK? I know you and Corey are going to come back refreshed, renewed, and full of amazing memories that you can FB and blog about. :0) I continue to pray for you sweet girl and know God is leading... even in this traveling-for-fun decision. I pray that whatever the outcome, that He will cover both of you with His peace. I love you.

Shan said...

I hope you can go and sit on the beach for me. I am having "beach fever" so bad! I miss it so much...it is my favorite place in the whole wide world. My husband turned 40 this last July. This month we will celebrate our 15 year wedding anniversary. I wanted us to go somewhere and celebrate too. I thought Sara said your kids were going too? Maybe I heard wrong. In regards to your question. I would suggest kneeling in prayer and asking Heavenly Father. He knows what you have done to prepare for this trip. Share with him your desire to go and see how you feel. If you feel good, calm and at peace then the Holy Ghost will confirm you should go. If you don't feel peace or feel uneasy, well...there is your answer to not go. By the way, I am on facebook. You can look me up in Sara's friends (all 400 of them :) ) I am really enjoying your blog and can't wait to meet you someday. Sara and I are having loads of fun! =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails