Thursday, January 21, 2010

Catching Up November: Celebrating My Dad's 60 Years Of Life

On November 11, 1959 a great gift was given to the world.
My daddy was born.
This year, more than any other before, my family celebrated my dad's life. It had only been less than 2 months since it had, in some ways, passed before our eyes. On that day in September and the days that followed it we fought back thoughts of what life might be like if we did not have him anymore. It was scary and sad and I hated almost every moment of it. My kids did too. And on the night before he was scheduled to have a double bypass and as we all mustered up the courage to face what was before him, we cried. And we held on to each other. And we took deep breaths. And we prayed. And we tried to distract ourselves. And once we finally had the courage, we left him at the hospital... knowing that the next day so many things would change... and praying that so many things wouldn't. It was one of the hardest nights I have ever had in my life.

~ Allie & her Poppie walking to the elevator on the night before he had a double bypass ~
But as I have written about before here, God was gracious to us. He granted us all more time together here on Earth, and I am so thankful. So this year, we celebrated. Not just because he was turning 60. But because he was with us. Not only alive. But alive and well. Though as humans, we are bound to slip back into a "normal" life where we will not always remember to love the ones in our lives as well as we should, my family has a new and improved appreciation for each other and for having a chance to celebrate life together. And that night that was full of tears and fear and emotion before his surgery turned into this on his birthday...
This year, Dad's birthday obviously needed to be low key. All of our family came together at Mom & Dad's house just to hang out, visit, and eat a meal together. It was the first time that we had been together since his surgery where he was "himself". He was even able to hold the grandkids... gently. One of the things that he is the best at in the whole world.

~ Poppie, Jacob, & Claire ~
~ Asher in an antique flight helmet ~
~ Jackson & Skyler ~
~ Ainsley & Sara ~
~ Cooper ~
~ Chloe & Poppie ~
~ Gibbie & Allie ~
~ Poppie & Jack ~
~ opening his gift ~
We all gave him an engraved box. It was full of letters from each of us.
~ cake time! ~
~ making a wish ~
~ eating cake ~
It was a happy birthday for all of us!

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I got all teary reading that. And the picture of Allie with your dad at the hospital is beautiful. So glad you got to celebrate another birthday!

[on a side note, I LOVE that old wagon in the yard ... I've been trying to find one like that for a project so if you're ever throwing it away, I want it. :) ]

Mama Jeannie said...

Amy, for some reason I had never seen this post. My heart is about to burst... again... with profound gratefulness and praise to our God for His mercy, healing, and provision. We are beyond blessed to have your daddy with us and yes... he is well and "it is well with our souls", isn't it?

Related Posts with Thumbnails