Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Catching Up November: NYC: Day 3 - Our First Broadway Show

I cannot even begin to say how excited I was about taking Allie to a Broadway Show. When we decided to take her to New York City, I asked around to see what people who had been there thought would be a good show for us to see. Wicked was the one show that came up over and over again. I didn't really know the story at the time, but I researched it a bit and found that it was the prequel to The Wizard Of Oz (a movie that Allie LOVED and we all 3 could quote every word of when Allie was about 4 years old). So, I bought the tickets to give her on her scavenger hunt and took someone's advice and bought the soundtrack to the musical to listen to before the show... which was really good advice! By the time we got to go to the show, we had heard the songs a number of times. Seeing the musical was like putting a puzzle together - the story behind all of the songs became clear. And, oh! I kind of fell in love with Elphaba - the green witch. Wicked makes you think of so many things about The Wizard Of Oz a little differently than you might have before.
So the night that we were going to our first Broadway show, we came home from shopping, got all dressed up (although we have our coats on in almost all of the photos), and headed out to the theatre. Our walk to the Gershwin Theatre was just about the most painful thing I have ever done in my life. People that told us that our feet would hurt when we visited NYC were understating what we had in store for us. Severely. It was only a few blocks from our hotel to the theatre, but Corey had to coach Allie and me there the whole way. "Come on, you can do it... just make it to the next stoplight." Then, we got to that stoplight, and he would have to find a new landmark for us to set our minds on. Finally, we made it the 7ish blocks (don't forget that a New york City block is different than a Texas block), and it was all worth it!

~ Allie and I at our first Broadway Show ~
~ Corey giving his girl a dream night in NYC ~
~ our 13 year old Birthday Girl ~


~ the set of Wicked before the show started ~
There were no photos allowed during the show.
~ Corey & I before the show ~
(taken with my phone)
In case you can't tell... I loved the show. Everything about it! I even cried a few times. Once when it started - I just could not believe that I was there. In New york City. At a Broadway show. And I cried again when Elphie and Glinda sang a song about being friends, life changing, and friendship taking a turn. I felt like I could have been singing that song... It was beautiful. It is a duet between the 2 friends in the musical, but here is Kristin Cheoweth (the origianl Glinda) singing it with the Boston Pops Orchestra:



Allie loved the show too. It was so special to share seeing our first Broadway show together and watching her take it all in! Corey... like with all things theatrical and musical... enjoyed taking us to the show (I think) but could have lived with or without it. I'm really thankful that he treated Allie and me to something that we thoroughly enjoyed.

After the show, we went to a nice restaurant to celebrate our fabulous trip and the next stage of our lives together. I was sad that our time in New York City was coming to an end... but happy that I got to see my boys (who had been cared for well by my sister-in-law, Adrielle, and our good friend, Megan) the next day. Thankfully, our flight didn't leave the Big Apple until later on the afternoon of Day 4, so we still had half a day on the next day to squeeze in more fun.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I LOVE Wicked- hence our dog's name. Can't wait to see it again this year in Dallas! Glad you all loved it, too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails