Friday, January 1, 2010

Catching Up November: NYC: Day 2 - Ground Zero

On our second day in New York we ate breakfast at our hotel then headed toward Ground Zero. From the time that I got off the subway - only a couple of blocks away from where the World Trade Center towers once stood - I could sense the loss and sadness. I could vividly recall the sights I had seen on TV of panicking, shocked people running through those very streets that I was strolling peacefully along. We turned the corner and at the sight of the first crane (and there were many), I began to cry. Not sobs, but uncontrollable tears fell from my eyes the whole time that I looked at this place where our country and my sense of security were attacked and where so many lives were lost and changed forever.

We saw this cross made from steel from the World Trade Centers just as we got off the subway.

The place where the towers stood is now being made into a memorial. It was surrounded by a temporary blue mesh wall, but I found one construction entrance where I could snap a shot of the construction.

Near Ground Zero there is a museum where we watched a video about that horrible day. It was clear to me how differently history affects people. Those that may have lost a loved one were obviously more pained than others. The ones that remembered the attack were obviously more shaken than those that didn't. It made me rethink the perspective I have on wars and other tragic events that I have learned about but was not alive during. The feelings that my ancestors - particularly my grandparents - must have had during those times must have been so different that what I could imagine.

~ a Statue of Liberty covered in memorabilia from the site of the attack ~
Across the street from the museum and near Ground Zero there was church that held much history even before 9/11. During that time it was used as a type of headquarters for the rescue workers, and there were a lot of historical items and 9/11 memorabilia inside the church.

It was beautiful!

~ one of the most touching things that I saw ~

The church is covered in signs and notes that people sent in the days after the attack.
~ patches from fire departments all over the country that were sent to show support for the FDNY ~
~ notes to rescue workers from kids ~

Aside from the September 11th paraphernalia in the church, this historical pew was interesting. Evidently, this is the church that George Washington attended when he was president, and this was his pew.

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I can't imagine how emotional it would be to see that. I get emotional just looking at the 9/11 memorial in Grapevine.

Mama Jeannie said...

I got tears in my eyes as I journeyed with you in this recollection of the sadness you felt and the understanding that dawned as you thought of past wars and tragedy before you were born; before I was born. "Come quickly Lord Jesus, come."

Related Posts with Thumbnails