Friday, September 5, 2008

Baby Talk With The Boys

The boys and I have had some interesting conversations today...

*** Jack and I were looking at pictures of when he was born today.  I said, "This is when you were in the nursery of the hospital.  Daddy stood by you for hours while you were in that little bed."  He said, "Where were you?"  "Oh, I was recovering from surgery in another part of the hospital."  With a face of confusion, he said, "Surgery?  Why did you have surgery?"  I explained that sometimes babies are born by what is called C-Section.  Of course, the next question was obvious.  "What is a C-Section?"  "Well Buddy, that is when they cut the mommy's tummy open to get the baby out."  His confused face turned to a disgusted one.  "Gross!  Doesn't that hurt?"  

Ummm.  Yes!  

Several minutes later he returned to me.  "Mom, if some babies are born by being cut out of their mommy's tummy, how are the other babies born?"

And the disgusted face returned.  (despite how motherly and mature I had handled the conversation)  I said, "It's okay Buddy.  God made a woman's body to do that.  It's natural."  

He didn't seem convinced.

He said, "I guess that is okay because babies are only this big (and held up his hands) when they are born."  Then he thought... "But they are really long!  Like this long!!!  Oh my goodness, I bet that hurts."

Ummm.  Kind of.


*** Out of nowhere, Cooper said, "Mommy, do you remember when I was born?" as if he were going to fill me in on the story.  :)  Ummm, yes.  I kinda think that I am never going to forget that one.  


***Cooper was watching Sesame Street today.  Jack sat with him for a little while and during that time a segment about Africa came on.  It documented a pretty rustic life of an little African girl and her family.  It was a very different life from the one that he has, and it touched his tender heart.  "Mom, I think that we should go to Africa and adopt a baby."  I said, "I would love that Jack.  We should pray about that."  He got more excited, "Can we Mom!?!?  Can we go get a baby in Africa?"  "I don't know Jack.  I don't think that it is that easy.  We'll have to see what God thinks about it."  And he topped it all off with, "I really want to Mom!  And I want her to be a baby sister." 
 

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Love those conversations.

Mama Jeannie said...

What a precious post Amy! What wonderful little boys you have. I'm with Cooper. A baby sister from Africa for all of us to love! I'll pray about that too, OK? :0)

Related Posts with Thumbnails