Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Book That I Read In One Day

I don't think that I have ever read a book in a day.  Ever.  Is that embarrassing to say?  I'm not sure...  I am admittedly a slow reader and a busy lady, so that is my excuse.  Anyway, Friday I was not feeling very well, and I picked up a book that I had heard about a few months ago and had really wanted to read and had recently borrowed from a friend.  My kids happened to have some cancellations in their day Friday, and I happened to feel like a train had run over me, so I spent much of my day laying in bed reading.  I think that that was a first.  That night I could not go to sleep without finishing the book that had captured me. 


This book was amazing.  I almost hate to say that because I don't want to build it up so much that it is a disappointment to you if you read it, but I think that it is true... it was great!  The story is about a very poor, homeless black man and a very rich white man and how their lives intersect.  It is true, and it takes place right here in my area.  Mostly in Ft. Worth, TX.  

Same Kind Of Different As Me challenged what I think about homeless people and about being used by God in their lives and in my life in general.  It clarified and solidified things that I have come to believe about Him and about the things that He does to accomplish his purposes.  It is interestingly written and emotionally intense.  It touched me.  I hope that I am forever changed.

6 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I've been wanting to read that. Did you borrow it from Eliz?

Elizabeth said...

:-) Amy, feel free to pass it on to Randi. I loved the book too, and it really does open your eyes and change your view about stuff. Good read!

Emily said...

I want to be inthe pass it along line up for sure! I have wanted to read that book. I am glad that you loked it so much.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. This is a book I'd recommend to anyone- Christian or not. It really opens your heart to God's pure desire to just fellowship with us. No matter our status or complications in life.

Leanna said...

Isn't it a great book. We've been circulating this around our family and it is really an inspiration to take on a new outlook on God and his people!

Mama Jeannie said...

I have never heard of this book, but I know I would love it! I'll look for it. Connecting with the poor in spirit (materially wealthy or poor)is a deep desire God has planted in my heart.

Related Posts with Thumbnails