Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Family Stories

I talked about our tradition of filling Easter Shoes in a previous post but did not know the history of this crazy tradition.  I knew that it came from my grandad's side of the family, but I didn't know where his parents came up with it.  I called him today to find out... and he called his sister to ask her if she knew any more than he did.  The best story that we can come up with is that his mom and dad - the parents of 12 kids - could not afford Easter baskets.  He had not ever even heard of Easter baskets until he was married... but he always remembers getting eggs in his shoes.  They were boiled eggs that his family dyed the night before Easter.  We don't know where his parents came up with the idea of using shoes... my guess is that my Great-Grandma Hennigh was a very creative lady.  You'd have to be to make ends meet with 12 kids! 


This story makes me wish so badly that I knew more about my grandparents' and great-grandparents' history.  I wish that the stories of their childhoods' were recorded.  I wish I had a better memory and could remember every story that they have ever told me.  I wish that I'd asked more questions and they would have thought that one day in the distant future that their little grandaughter, Amy... or any of the other many, many descendants of theirs... might want to know about what I am sure that they viewed as a plain, ordinary life.  I treasure the memories that I do have of my grandparents' stories of their lives... my infant grandad and his mom going to  see the new baby in town... that baby just happened to become his wife less than 20 years later, Grandma riding that horse, Grandad going for walks with his siblings as his mom gave birth at home, the heartbreaking story of his baby sister dying, the story of Pap sleeping in the back of their horse drawn wagon as the horse walked home from town after a weekend night spent visiting with everyone in that small town, the thought of Granny working in that drug store and meeting a young man that she would marry just before he left for the war.  It makes me want to document everything for my kids even more, tell them more stories, leave them a legacy that they understand.  

Thanks for the information today Grandad.  I loved talking to you on the phone... and I am sorry that Charlie stole your eggs on that Easter long ago.  :)    

3 comments:

Emily said...

You are so good at learning the stories and keeping up with traditions. I bet that Grandad loved talking to you today ad loved that you wanted to learn about some of his past. I was so sad that we didn't get to do the Easter shoes this year.

Amanda said...

My mom and I were talking about similar things today -- about her recording her childhood for our kids. It's a great idea.

I know your grandparents comment here periodically. Any chance they'd write their history in a blog you could have published?

Mama Jeannie said...

I know what you mean Amy. I have so much longed for all Gma and Gdad's stories and the aunts and uncles of our family to be written down so I could put them into a book of sorts. Like pulling teeth to get anything from anyone. :0) I sent out a letter several years ago and wanted all my aunts and uncles to jot down their love stories; when and how they met, their weddings, where they went on their honeymoons, if they had one, and their first homes. Maybe I'll send out another letter and see what happens. When we all get together this summer, someone should bring a tape recorder and just let it run while our whole bunch visits and remembers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails