Monday, March 31, 2008

Our Crazy Day

This was a crazy homeschool day!  This morning was full of errands as we ran to two libraries to look for books containing pictures of Carol Burnett for Allie's "Famous Texans" presentation... Yes, Carol Burnett was born in San Antonio, and that is about the extent of her heritage in this great state.  When we got home from the libraries it was almost nap time for Cooper, but he and Jack got to playing in the back yard which led to watering the plants which led to playing in the water which led to "needing" their swim suits which led to half an hour of fun in the sun followed by a snack.  (photos by Allie)  

Finally, Coop went down for a nap, Allie was reading her literature, and Jack and I were lost somewhere in Roman history  between the Tigris and Euphrates when the town's  tornado sirens went off.  I kind of ignored them for a while then I thought, "I better check on that."  I went and turned the news on, and basically they said, "If you live in Amy's house, you better take cover."  Okay, not really... but they were saying the names of 2 highways that are probably less than 5 miles from here, and that is where the tornado was.  I stayed calm, but I told the kids we might need to get into the closet.  Jack remembered that his new basketball was outside, so he ran out to rescue it then he was on a mission to get the closet prepared in case we had to hole up in there for a while.  Allie & I kept watching the news updates as he would run through the room with arm loads of things, run back out, then a few minutes later run back through again.  When he was done, he said, "Oh!  I better get Cooper a sippy cup."  Mr. Thoughtful!  After a while the storms moved east, and I knew that we were fine.  Later, as I was doing some chores, I walked into my closet and had to chuckle at the things that were in Jack's "save in the case of a storm" stash.
His guitar
His swimsuit
A Webkinz stuffed animal
2 footballs
His new tool box
The Dangerous Book For Boys book
Water Bottles
Animal Crackers
Bugles chips 
$2 in cash
7 Baseball caps
3 pair of shorts
3 T-shirts
His new library book
A blanket
Cooper's sippy cup
He was on his way to get his entire baseball uniform, but I told him that we would be okay without that.  :)

5 comments:

Amanda said...

So funny!

When the sirens began to sound, James called me from work with instructions to take the XBox 360 into the tornado closet.

He remembered/preferred that over the scrapbooks, his mother's jewelry, his diploma, the laptop, and every other thing of actual value.

Boys will be boys, no matter how old they grow.

Elizabeth said...

GREAT pics by Allie!

And Jack's list just cracks me up. That was too funny!

We just hid in the closet and the hallway while I ran back and forth to watch the weather. Scary!

Emily said...

I totally missed out on all the excitement. I was at the gym and then ran errands. I never even heard the sirens. Glad nothing bad happened.

Jack's must haves are pretty great. You never know how important $2 and baseball caps can be after a tornado.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That's so funny! I love that he took some money in there. For what?!? We were sitting in the car at Eli's guitar lesson when the sirens went off ... a bit nerve-wracking!

Julie said...

Jack sounds so responsible.
I love his list of items.
I think my number one item (besides the chidren) would be my photo albums. I would miss them so...

Related Posts with Thumbnails