Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy, Happy Birthday Baby!

Since our original plan for Allie's birthday party had to be rearranged, we came up with Plan B - in 2 parts.  Part 1 - We had originally scheduled Allie's birthday party to correspond with the opening day of the much anticipated High School Musical 3 movie.  I was unexpectedly in Colorado on that day, and my sister went ABOVE and BEYOND to get Allie and her friends to the movie theatre to see HSM3 on opening day... THANK YOU EMMIE!  Part 2 of the party had to be delayed until things slowed down for our family a bit, and last weekend was the perfect time to celebrate our girl!  Allie invited 3 of her best girlfriends to join her for a slumber party at a local hotel, and I had a few surprises for them throughout the night.  First, we met at the mall and did a bit of shopping.  Then, Corey & the boys met us there for gifts and Allie's favorite - cookie cake.
The mall that we went to has a carousel, and we let the kids ride it before we said goodnight to Corey & the boys and headed in separate directions.
The girls did not know where we were going to go for dinner.  I surprised them by reserving the one and only table in the kitchen at an Italian restaurant.  It was SO fun... all of the waiters stopped by to say happy birthday and some even sang to us, we had a front row seat and got to see all of the food prepared and all of the kitchen drama, the manager brought us complimentary appetizers, and our waiter gave us ice cream to go.  It was tons of fun and something really different to do.

After dinner, I took the girls to Target and let them each choose a snack to share for their slumber party.  Of course, it was much too tempting not to push each other around in the store on the toddler cart.
When we got back to the hotel, the girls decided to sit in the hot tub for a while before they watched movies.  Then, it happened.  Someone said,  "Let's get in the 'big pool'".  Yes - the big, cold, outdoor pool!  I figured that that would last about half a second then they would freeze and get back into the hot tub, but I was wrong... The first dip lasted a few seconds, the next longer, the next longer... and soon 3 of the 4 girls were swimming in November!  I didn't have my camera with me at the time... but I got pictures the next day when they did it AGAIN!  (and it was even colder then)  

Allie got 2 new DVDs for her birthday, and they stayed up half the night watching them.
The next morning the girls enjoyed their hot chocolate by the pool after breakfast.
Then, they swam again...
(...and I sat beside the pool bundled in a blanket and read my book.)

After they swam, they made a craft.

Then it was time to head home in our shoe-polished-van.  Yes, I thought that this was such a great idea... until it was time to remove the shoe polish.  I had written on a window then let the kids all decorate the windows too.  Note to self, don't ever, ever, ever do that again!  It has been nearly impossible to get off!  (My favorite window was on the driver's side.  It said "The Best Mom!"  :) )
I had such an amazing time being with these girls that I have known and loved since they were 5 years old (and Gracie since birth) and giving Allie a party that made her feel really special and loved!  They are so funny!  I am thankful that my girl has wonderful friends that have wonderful families.  God has blessed us greatly!  

10 comments:

Kate said...

What a cool, cool idea having a slumber party at a hotel! Note to self for the future...

Mama Jeannie said...

Amy, you are the best party planner I've ever known. I'm sure Allie felt honored and loved with her best friends around her, an amazing mom and fun surprises all night long. Love it!

Jenny said...

We painted to FROG mobile with special markers for writing on cars- can't remember what they're called. Just ask Lori. She got them at the dollar store in all kinds of colors.

Glad you had a fun belated celebration!!

Amanda said...

What a wonderful celebration of Allie. A celebration she'll remember forever, I'm sure.

I was going to suggest the window writers too. I can't remember what they're called either, but they're made specifically for cars.

Amy said...

Now you tell me!!! Back in my day, we used good ol' white shoe polish. Evidentially, the formula has changed in the last 17 years, and now shoe polish is a bit more permanent. EEEK!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What an awesome party! We're planning on doing the hotel thing for Kennedy's next birthday. What restaurant was that? That's such a fun thing - eating in the kitchen?!? Love it! Great craft too ... the whole party looked fantastic! Lucky Allie!

Corey Powell said...

Thanks Emily

Corey Powell said...

Eat in the kitchen? Did you have desert in the bathroom?

Julie said...

That looks like an awesome birthday party

Anonymous said...

What am amazing birthday party! It looks like you guys had a great time!
b.

Related Posts with Thumbnails