Wednesday, July 2, 2008

At The Cross

Jack had a friend over to play yesterday, and they asked if they could build something.  When I went to check on them I saw that they had built a huge cross and had worked very hard to make it stand up in the middle of our backyard.  When Corey got home from work, Jack explained to him that they had placed rocks at the foot of the cross to represent their sins, and he asked Corey to place a rock there too to represent his sins.  Then this morning he asked me to come out and place a rock at the bottom of the cross to represent my sins.  While we were out looking at his handiwork, Jack started explaining to Cooper that Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins and he asked him if he wanted to give his sins to Jesus.  Then he handed his baby brother a rock to place by the cross.  It was the sweetest thing!  I am so thankful for my little boy's tender heart, his love of God, his realization of his need for a Savior, and his desire to tell others about Jesus.

 O LORD, our Lord, 
       how majestic is your name in all the earth! 
       You have set your glory 
       above the heavens.
 From the lips of children and infants 
       you have ordained praise.
Psalm 8:1-2

This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to 
John 3: 16-18
The Message
Since we've compiled this long and sorry record as sinners and proved that we are utterly incapable of living the glorious lives God wills for us, God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ.
Romans 3 
The Message

8 comments:

Mama Jeannie said...

I not only got tears in my eyes. I cried with thankfulness that my grandchildren either know our Jesus already or will come to know Him. There is no greater thing than to be in His presence and that is where I am as I write this reply sweet girl. I cried at the fresh realization of what a great price was paid for our sin and what a treasure we have in knowing Jesus as our friend. I cried at the tenderness of an eight year old boy who is busy about changing the world one life at a time.

Elizabeth said...

Amy, does that not just take your breath away? That God even allows us glimpses of what He's doing in our children's lives? WOW. That's amazing. What a great kid!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That's beautiful - the cross, his message to Cooper, his heart. I love that photo of Jack leaning against the cross. God has beautiful things in store for that tender heart.

Jenny said...

Wow- what a tender child. To even have a grasp of the true meaning of the cross at such a young age... how cool! It seems Jack could be called into the ministry- and Cooper may be the first he leads to Christ!

Emily said...

Well I agree with everything everyone has said about sweet Jack. He is amazing, seriously! I also got big fat tears in my eyes when I saw this work of art. Are you leaving it up while you are away? Who was the friend? I am so linking this post from my blog.

For The Girls said...

Wow - how amazing, how sweet, how awesome!

Jami said...

What a precious story! I was reminded of the scripture in Psalms...

Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.

Amanda said...

Jack's tenderness and understanding are so amazing. You guys must be doing something right for these things to be so clear to him. Thanks for sharing with us!

Related Posts with Thumbnails