Monday, July 21, 2008

FR


When I was a kid, it seems that my family went to FR almost every summer. I have really good memories of being there! However, the summer that I was 12 or 13 was my last time to go. At that point, I was working all summer each year then I was married and Corey and I had not made it the summers that the rest of my family did. So, I was really anxious to show Corey and my kids the place of my childhood memories. For a while, it looked like Corey was going to have to miss this portion of our vacation because of work, but thankfully it worked out that he could stay.

From what I remember (and this could be slightly wrong), my great-grandparents and their 9 children started having FR around 50 years ago. First, they met in Amarillo, TX then in the Cimarron Canyon in New Mexico. Finally, they bought land in Colorado, and FR has been held on that land as long as I can remember.

When I was a kid, I remember that there was one big cabin on the land that had a kitchen on one end and a place to sit and visit and play cards on the other. It always smelled like sausage and coffee. I remember that the women would heat water and fill big tubs with it to wash kids... and dishes (not at the same time) on the cabin floor. I remember that there was an outhouse behind the cabin - and no toilet. I remember that we swam - and bathed - in the river, and that it was freezing cold. I remember that we climbed what we officially called Hennigh Mountain every year. I remember that it was huge!

This year, as we pulled up to the land where we have FR, the mountain was not quite as huge and the cabin seemed about 1/4 of the size that I remembered. It was all very different - and almost exactly the same as I remembered.

~the original siblings & their spouses~

~my grandparents~
(My Grandad is one of the original 9 kids.)
We made a lot of great memories at FR this year that I can't wait to share. 
 
to be continued....


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails