Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Bittersweet Day

Yesterday was Allie & Jack's last day of school. It was a bittersweet day. Of course, we were ready - very ready - for summer break. Something about Spring just does that to us. But there was a little sadness sprinkled into our joy.

Allie started going to this school in kindergarten - 6 years ago - and Jack joined her there when he started kindergarten 3 years ago. We fell in love with it the first time we went to an information meeting. It is unusual in that it is a part-time school. We had never heard of such a thing - the kids go to school 2-3 days a week and are homeschooled the rest of the time. It seemed like a perfect match for us as we desired to remain the primary influence in our kids' lives. It is a Christian school, and that is highly important to us. We wanted our kids to learn from a Christian world-view, and that, they have. It is a rigorous school where the students are challenged. We were excited about that as we knew of the potential that all kids have. Our experience there has been full of love from the kids' teachers and our expectations have been far beyond met.

Some things occurred in the last couple of years that have made it clear to us that - at least for now - we needed to find a new place for Allie to learn. I was overwhelmed at the idea.  Having a life in my hands to mold held more gravity than ever before.  This was a huge decision for me.  I was secure at our current school and trusted them to educate my kids well. As I looked at my options, I was certain that a 5 day a week school did not meet our family's needs. I contemplated homeschooling 100%, but that did not seem like a good option for us either. Thankfully, another part-time school was brought to my attention a little more than a year ago. It is for 6th though 12th graders, it is a Christian school, and the learning style seems like it might be a perfect match for Allie. In deciding to go there next year, I was very sad about not returning to the school, teachers, and friends that we love. I still am. But for now, I think that this is the best decision for our family. Next year, Allie will go to the "new school", and Jack will remain at the "old school".

So, yesterday was the closing of a chapter in our lives. The little ones that Allie started kindergarten with 6 years ago will start 6th grade without her. They are treasures, and I pray that we will stay in close touch... and maybe even be classmates again someday.

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Change always brings mixed emotions but I hope that next year will be a really great, exciting year for Allie, filled with new and very special friends.

Mama Jeannie said...

I agree; change is challenging, mentally and emotionally. Though sorrow lasts but for a moment; there is joy in the morning. You have sought the Lord, He has heard you, and has answered in a most exciting way. I trust that you, Allie, will blossom and stretch out in the creative gifts God has entrusted to you through this upcoming experience at your new school. I know you will make new friends who will become treasures as you mature into the beautiful young woman you are already becoming over the next several years. What a great adventure God is calling you to... and all of your whole family! I'm so happy for this new joy that is sure to push away all the sadness.

Related Posts with Thumbnails