Friday, April 24, 2009

Baby Birds

In February Jack received a pair of pigeons from my parents for his birthday. (Look here for the whole story.) Their names are Romeo & Juliet. The first week of April we discovered that Juliet had laid 2 eggs.


Yesterday, while the kids were gone to golf lessons, I went out in the backyard, and I discovered that the eggs had hatched... Adam & Eve had been born into the family. I watched the bird-parents instinctually take care of their babies for a while which was fascinating, and I could not wait for Jack to get home to find his new baby-pets. He was just as excited as I thought he would be.

Just like she should be, Juliet is being very protective of her little squabs, but here is a photo that I got while she was letting us take a peek as she fed them. Yes, they are really ugly when they first hatch but kinda cute at the same time.

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Wow - I had no idea that Romeo and Juliet were expecting! What a neat thing to experience.

Mama Jeannie said...

I love Jack's face when he sees the babies and then looks up at the camera. Priceless! Are Adam and Eve still doing well? I know when Jack called Poppie last night he was a little concerned.

Related Posts with Thumbnails