Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What Books Do You Love?

I am beginning to think of all of the things that I am going to do (and not do) while I am on vacation next month. One thing that I am excited about doing is reading. I was not a big reader growing up, but in recent years I have really grown to love it. I am wondering what books that you (my 15 loyal readers :) ) think that I should take with me to Mexico. What have you read that you just love? What books are all the buzz these days?

I like all kinds of books. My favorites are probably stories that involve real life circumstances. I don't like them to be sugar-coated, and I don't have to have a rainbow at the end... sometimes that is nice, but if it is too predicatable I will stop reading it. I like biographies, fiction based on history, stories about relationships between girlfriends and sisters and mothers & daughters. I can take a love story if it's not too ooey gooey or (again) predictable. I get bored easily, and I don't want to have to concentrate too hard. I am not going to read anything about parenting or marriage or self-improvement on this trip. I've got plenty of those books on the shelf. I want to read something fun. Somthing that I can lose myself in for a few days, and I want to know what books you have read that have captivated you.

Get your recommendations to me as soon as you can. 4 weeks from this very moment I will be laying on the beach... and I might just be reading the book that you suggest. :)

13 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I like almost all of Jodi Picoult's books and she has a new one out, I think. I'm reading an oldie right now - Under the Tuscan Sun - it's great for getting caught up in a different life (the I-wish-I-lived-in-an-Italian-villa-life). I'll see if I can think of others.

Emily said...

I am so glad that you asked this. I am thinking of doing the same thing on FB. I really liked the book The Other Bolyn Girl. I own it if you are interested.

Courtney said...

I'm not a big reader myself, but the last book I read I LOVED...in fact, I read it in 2 days because I couldn't put it down. It's The Shack. I wouldn't really categorize it as fun, but definitely interesting and very therapeutic if you've ever lost someone tragically. Just keep an open mind if you choose to read it.

Elizabeth said...

I just checked out "The Glass Castle" from the library. I started reading my mom's copy and had to have it for myself. It's a biography, and nothing sugar coated about it! Look it up.

Jenny said...

I just wrote this on Emily's FB.

I'm reading John Grisham's easy fiction Playing for Pizza. I think you'd really like it. It's completely different from his normal stuff. I'll be done with it in time for your trip. It's quick, easy chapters. You could finish it in no time.

Emily said...

I also liked These is My Words. I think that I let you borrow that one. Check out my FB for more recommendations.

Sara said...

You could always read the Karen Kingsbury books that we read. I bet between the three of us you could take the first few if you wanted to. They're really good!

Kate said...

Three Cups of Tea is excellent!

Mama Jeannie said...

I agree; the Karen Kingsbury series is so good. I have most of them if you need them. Another book that I read a few years ago and absolutely loved, was "Follow the River"; based on a true story set in the 1800's about a woman who was nine months pregnant when she and her little boys were kidnapped by Indians from their settlement and the journey back home after her escape. Amazing real life nail-biter for sure. I also have that somewhere. I'll look for it if you are interested. Of course, I've always wanted all of you to read "Girl of the Limberlost", "Freckles", and "Freckles Comes Home". They will forever be three of my most favorite books I think.

Mama Jeannie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mama Jeannie said...

Somehow I entered my comment twice so I deleted one of them. Oops.

Wife Goes On said...

Read Astrid & Veronika or any books by Patti Callahan Henry or Joshilyn Jackson - all her books are fantastic. I do NOT like ooey gooey love stories, so those are all great. Also good is a little book

Wife Goes On said...

Read Astrid & Veronika or any books by Patti Callahan Henry or Joshilyn Jackson - all her books are fantastic. I do NOT like ooey gooey love stories, so those are all great. Also good is a little book

Related Posts with Thumbnails