Thursday, April 23, 2009

Milly

I downloaded photos from my camera and found that Allie had had a photo shoot with our family dog.  This is my favorite one of Miss Milly Moo.

When Allie was about a year old we would sit out in our front yard in the evenings, and she would run and chase and point and "ooh" at the neighborhood dogs.  It was so cute!  It was then that I started thinking that having a dog would be fun.  Around that same time, our neighbors took their new dog (an Old English Sheepdog) out to play in the greenbelt in front of our house, and I fell in love with the idea of having a dog like theirs.  I had always loved Old English Sheepdogs, but I had never seen one in person.  When we saw this fluffy one out the window, I think that we pretty much dropped everything and ran outside to meet it. and we soon learned his name was Rags.  After a little thinking about it and a little research, we decided to go get a Sheepdog of our own.  When we saw the little black and white fluffy puppy, I knew I had to have it. Corey bought her for me then and there, and I held her like a baby all the way home.  We decided on the name for our fur ball.  Milly.  And in the spirit of her parents' names and of her showdoginess, we gave her a fancy schmancy name too - Allie's Millionaire. 

She has been a part of our lives for 11 years now.  She has been ridden like a horse and "stabbed" and "shot" when the boys have played knights and cowboys.  She has been laid on like a pillow and snuggled and cuddled.  She has been dressed up and photographed.  She has brought us comfort on dark, scary nights as she guards us.  She has herded all 3 of the children as they have grown up together.  She is our "Nana" from Peter Pan.  And we love her.

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

She's a sweet dog.

Jenny said...

OH, Milly is such a good dog. She loves your kiddos too. Makes me miss our first dog.

Mama Jeannie said...

Milly is a precious dog for sure. I see she has her summer haircut.
:0) I love it when she's all shaggy, but I understand getting rid of those tangles too. 11 years old!!! How time does fly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails