Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Playgroup, Free Ice Cream, The Color Orange, & American Idol

Today has been a good day.

Twice a month Cooper and I meet 3 mommies and their 5 kids that are close to his age for Playgroup, and today was one of those days. It was a low-key Playgroup day. The kind where the kids just play in the backyard and eat a few Goldfish crackers while the mommies visit and eat hummus... and we all become a little better friends. I love these ladies. (one of them just happens to be my sister) Together, they make up a puzzle piece that fits perfectly into my life right now. I don't know what I'd do without them.

After Playgroup, Cooper and I did a bit of shopping for a little upcoming trip that I have on the calendar. Have you heard? I leave for a Mexican beach vacation in 3 weeks and 12 hours (give or take a few minutes --- but who's counting?). It involved swimsuits. And yes, it was horrible. So, after I picked Allie up from school, we did the only logical thing...

...We went to Ben & Jerry's for Free Ice Cream Day. (I'm not sure if that is what it is called, but I am officially naming it that.) We arrived at the ice cream shop with the rest of the after-school crowd, but it was worth the wait. We ran into several friends, and Jack joined us there with my precious, life-saving, carpooling friend, Donna. The ice cream was delicious. The company was great. And the kids enjoyed playing in the fountains after our snack... an activity that doubled as a necessary shower for Cooper after his ice cream created a chocolate mustache (and beard) which caused young children to point and say, "Look at that little boy, Mommy! He's very dirty." Imagine that! My angel-baby-boy. Dirty?!?

Throughout this day, my mind has been constantly on a little boy that I don't know but that I love. Hearts are crazy like that sometimes. I've talked about Baby Stellan before. The fact that he lived beyond birth is a miracle in-and-of itself, and over the last several weeks he has been hospitalized with a heart defect. Last week he was flown to Boston because of a heart doctor and a children's hospital that are there. He and his mommy are there while his daddy and 3 young siblings are back home - several states away. Today, little 5-month-old Stellan had heart surgery. In support of him, his bloggy friends were going to wear orange. To my dismay, I found that I did not have anything orange to wear. However, I have been thinking "orange thoughts" for Stellan all day! He still has a long way to go, but his surgery went well! Please continue to pray for him and his family as you think about it.

And now, my friends, it is the time that Allie and I wait for every Tuesday... American Idol just came on. Let's all say it together, "GO DANNY & KRIS!!!!"

5 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I laughed out loud a few times in that post - not the orange part, of course. I feel your swimsuit pain ... I can't bring myself to go there yet and it's not just pregnancy associated.

I love our playgroup too ... I think that every single time as I drive away.

Darn, I missed Kris.

Emily said...

What a fun day- minus the swimsuit shopping. I also LOVE our playgroup and can't imagine life without it.
I just finished American Idol...loved Kris!

Sara said...

Ah, yes, I love eating hummus with my girlfriends. Not really. I don't know that I've ever eaten hummus...well, maybe once. Anywhoo..=) Good post. Free ice cream! Sounds delightful! Buying a swimsuit...sounds just the opposite of delightful! But the REASON you bought a swimsuit is QUITE FUN!!! You're gonna have a BLAST!!! LOVE YA!!!

Sara said...

By the way...I loved Kris too - and Randi, you can watch him online, I think.

Mama Jeannie said...

Thanks for the update on little Stellan. I'll look at his mommy's blog in a minute. How wonderful that his surgery went well. I am praying he will not only recover, but better than new with a liftime of getting to play and grow up to be a healthy boy and man someday.
Sorry, your swimsuit shopping was horrible, but regardless, you and Corey will have such an awesome time on your getaway.

Related Posts with Thumbnails