Thursday, June 12, 2008

Girl Time

Yesterday Allie and I spent the afternoon together having some Girl Time.  It was really special.  First, we went to get pedicures which was very relaxing and enjoyable.  There was a scripture painted on the wall at the nail salon, and it was perfect...

A heart at peace gives life to the body.
Proverbs 14:30

After that, we went shopping.  Allie and I have been shopping together her entire life.  When she was a itty bitty thing, I would load her up with her big ol' bow on her head and head to the mall.  We spent time together there almost every week. Mostly just window shopping. Mostly just the two of us.  She never fussed or seemed to mind it - in fact, I think she liked it.  These days, we don't get to go shopping as often, but there are days that she says, "Can we go shopping together?"  I always try to make that happen when she does.  Not for the sake of shopping, but for the total enjoyment that we get from being together.  

As I watched her yesterday with her feet that are almost as big as mine being scrubbed and rubbed and painted I remembered the days - not so long ago - when I would paint her teeny tiny little toe nails, dress her up, and take her picture.  As I watched her try on clothes, I remembered the day that we brought her home from the hospital, and Corey and I took half an hour to dress her then took a roll of film of her when we were done.  I remember the pure happiness that I felt that day and that I kept saying, "She looks like an angel!"  I thought that yesterday too. 

I can't believe how time flies.  How one day I was a little girl dreaming of having a little girl and how today, we have both already grown up.  There is nothing on earth that I am more thankful for than days like yesterday when I get to slow down and focus on the moment at hand and remember all of the moments that preceded that one.

Allie,

I love you so much.  I loved you more than my heart could have imagined when you were that little girl... I love you even more now.

Forever, 
Mommy


5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She is so precious. What a special time you guys had.

Hey, what salon was that?

Emily said...

Tears in my eyes for mamy reasons. I love the relationshop you have, I remember putting bows in her hair, and I know the day is coming that my Claire is all grown up...it is all too bittersweet.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a great day!

Mama Jeannie said...

I love that you purposely make treasured memories with each one of your children. As Allie continues to grow up, won't she have miles of mental files; memories that are sure to make her smile for a lifetime? You are such a good mom Amy.

Amanda said...

I love it when you honor your kids. You have such a sweet, tender, and admirable heart. You are a wonderful mommy and your love for your little ones is so obvious. Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails