Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Little Piece Of Happy

When we moved into this house in the spring there were several things that I did not care for... on the top of the list was the hall bathroom. Someone had previously painted over the wallpaper with stark white paint (seams showing through) and had painted the baseboards and door dark gray/ black. It was UGLY. There is just not another way to describe it. Well, that little bathroom, as hideous as it was, was not on the top of our to do list, but I finally got to it this week. I love the way that it turned out!






And my thrifty side just has to share...
I textured over the wallpaper with a $6 tub of joint compound.
I painted with a gallon of mismixed paint from Home Depot that was normally $35... I paid $5 for it off the clearance rack.
The glaze was my big expense at $13.
I tore up a t-shirt (right off of Corey's back, literally) to apply most of the glaze.
I went to Hobby Lobby and got the hooks for 50% off (7.99 for both), and I got the shelf above the potty and the organizing containers on the counter (otherwise known as flower pots) from the garden super-duper-clearance section. I think that the shelf was $9 and the containers were $1.33.

And I was so happy with the amount of time that it all took too. I did the texture in a couple of hours with the big kids were at basketball camp on Monday. Today my friend, Kim, and I did the paint in a couple of hours. (Again, while the kids were at camp.) Thanks Kim!!! Then tonight Corey and I glazed the walls and hung things on the walls which took another couple of hours. Thanks Corey!!!

And it was all SO worth it! I walk by that bathroom now and just feel all happy inside. :)

13 comments:

For The Girls said...

Wow - this looks great and at a fantastic price too!!

Anonymous said...

The room looks great.....I think you are a thifty person on steroids.

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful! And wtg on the thriftiness!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It looks amazing ... and I'm so impressed with how little money you spent!

Jenny said...

WOW! Love the bathroom- looks much more like "Amy" than white walls and black trim. You could be in the DIY hall of fame with the money saved and the final result.

Mama Jeannie said...

Amy, Kim, and Corey! Beautiful job! Really!!! I LOVE the way your bathroom turned out and oh my gosh! Let's have a party and crown you "Ms. Bargain Queen For The Day". Way to go!!

Emily said...

BEA-U-TI-FUL!!! You did a great job and WAY TO GO on the thriftiness!!! You are pretty amazing.

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness, girl -- that bathroom is SO PRETTY! You need to come to my house with your decorating prowess. I need some HELP!

Julie said...

It looks awesome!

Corey Powell said...

She wanted my shirt so she could see the gun show.

Sara said...

Ooooo...I love it, love it, love it!!! And I'm SUPER DUPER impressed (yet not surprised) with your BARGAINS!!!

amy said...

I'm so impressed!! I love it!

Courtney said...

I'm a little behind on my blogs since we were on vacation, but very impressed with your handy work! I'm working on a few home projects myself...hope to be posting those soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails