Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Reflecting

So, we made it through the birthday.  He's three, and I survived.  It was actually a really good day - full of fun activity and not too much sad emotion.  A little guy that is super-excited about his birthday can cure many things!  

I noticed that Allie was a bit more hands on with Cooper today than usual... loving on him just a bit more than every other day.  When I was putting him to bed last night, she joined us and got some last minute birthday hugs and kisses in.  As I laid him down in his crib, she thoughtfully said, "I didn't want him to grow up."  I knew all of the emotions that she was feeling at that moment.  We had wanted a baby so badly - she and I.  We finally got one.  It was everything that we dreamed it would be.  We loved every minute of it.  Really!  Almost every single minute.  Our little Peter Pan has grown up, just a bit, and while we are excited to see the things that that means for him and for our family, it is hard to see that time come to a close.  I fully understand her... 

So today, our family enters 3-year-old-hood with Cooper at the helm.  We have a few tears on our cheeks but our heads are held high and we have anticipation in our hearts for what our little guy will become in this year of his little life.

There is nothing like this experience of being a mom.  As crazy as the emotion of it is sometimes, I would not change any of it.  I love it all, and I am very blessed.

6 comments:

Emily said...

You are blessed- you have three amazing kids on this earth. I love how much Allie loves Coop, she is such a sweetheart.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

How sweet to read Allie's comments on Cooper. Enjoy three!

Sara said...

I am glad that the day was mostly really fun! What Allie said got me though - I got tears in my eyes. Oh! It's just a KILLER! I didn't want to grow up when I was little, and it's hard to think about our babies growing up now!!! But I know what you mean...there is great stuff to come! Stuff we can't even imagine. And that will be fun. I love you!

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness. Pulled heartstrings, mommy memories, and courage to sit up straight, breathe deeply and forge on knowing we can't go back to what was and looking toward the future with it's sure adventure, love, hugs, challenges only a happy three year old can bring along with an 11 year old who walks in wisdom and compassion beyond her years, and an amazing 8 year old with insight that is enough to inspire us to dig deeper ourselves. Then there will be teenagers before you know it. Life is so full, isn't it?

Elizabeth said...

That is so precious what Allie said. So sweet! I love the relationship your kids have with each other.

Amanda said...

I'm glad you all survived such a bittersweet birthday. Thinking of you...

Related Posts with Thumbnails