Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Day At The Fair

Yesterday was a day when I was reminded of one of the reasons that I love homeschooling my kids.   Mid-morning I made a last minute decision to take the kids to the State Fair... homework was almost done, it was a beautiful day, it was bring-3-cans-of-food-and-get-in-for-a-dollar-day, guitar lessons were canceled, Corey was going to be gone in the evening... everything just fell into place, and we made a mad dash to Fair Park around noon. I love it when we have spontaneous days. I told my sister that it makes me feel young and fun... or crazy... or sometimes a little of both! Yesterday, it was good. Very good.

We have gone to the state fair almost every year since the kids have been toddlers, and those of you that also go regularly know that many of the shows and exhibits are exactly the same every year... we still do them each year, and there is something nostalgic about the same jokes being told and the same tricks being done from year to year. This year, though, we did happen upon a few things that we had never done before, and it was so fun to experience things that we had not experienced before. For the first time ever, the boys did the Pee-Wee Stampede rodeo and the Backyard Circus (which were both fabulous!), we watched The Domino Man build then knock down thousands of dominos, and we stayed for the parade (which we all enjoyed!). We have never stayed late before... and besides the walk through the parking lot after dark, it was really great.  (I discovered that I'm brave... but not that brave!)

~ the boys watching the dog show ~
Cooper was scared of the loud noises, and Jack was comforting him.
This is quite possibly my favorite picture of the year.
~ the petting zoo ~
Both boys actually got bitten by ostriches!  
This picture was snapped just before Cooper fingers were.
The little piglets were so cute. 
(The record holding 1,200 lb. pig... not so much!)
This was my favorite thing of the day, I think... the Pee Wee Stampede.
The kids put on a pretend rodeo with pretend rodeo events and everything.
~ Cowboy Coop waiting for his event ~
Jack won his event!
(He even got a real trophy.)
~ tippin' his hat to mom ~
(I could eat him up!)
Little Hands On The Farm is a favorite exhibit of ours.  
The little ones pretend their way through a farm - planting, harvesting, selling their goods, then buying a real snack with the fake money that they earned.  It is always fun!
~ Cooper taking care of a peach tree ~
The sand exhibit was impressive.
We also watched a show, Sergio, that was held near this.
Next was the World On A String marionette show.
Jack volunteered to be on stage and was chosen for the Wizard of Oz act.

~ Allie & Jack with Big Tex ~
Jack was chosen to be the Lion Tamer in the Backyard Circus.
~ Cooper being a circus tiger ~
~ The Parade ~
Staying for the parade was a first for us, and we will definitely do it again.

~ my babies watching the parade ~
So, we tumbled into our house about 9:00 last night with really dirty feet & tired bodies and a little homework to wrap up, but it was so worth it to spend the day together at the fair!  I love my kiddos!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

I love the State Fair! Brings back memories from my childhood..we always went on that bring a can day. And ALWAYS watched the bird show and did the backyard circus! Such fun memories your kids will have forever! Home Schooling is a great thing! You didn't have to go on a weekend when it was packed. Looks like a fun day! Oh yeah and the parade I love too!

Mama Jeannie said...

Loved hearing about everything you and the kids did during Fair Day! Neat perks for homeschooling for sure. Your kids get to experience so much more of the world around them than you and your siblings ever did. I LOVE THAT!! :0) Way to go Corey and Amy!

Elizabeth said...

what a fun day for you guys! You are such a good mommy.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Wow, you guys took part in everything - what fun!! I can't wait till the twins are a bit older and we can go in the afternoon instead of rushing back for the much-needed nap. It looked like a great day!

Noah's Mommy said...

I am confused. I have been following your blog for a while now and I remember you talking about the first day of school like they went to school away from home?

Noah's Mommy said...

Oh ok makes great sense now. Thanks for responding, I hope that I didnt sound rude when I ask that.

Jenny said...

Wow- you didn't just go to the fair. You CONQUERED the fair. I'm exhausted just reading all that stuff. I'm shocked Cooper lasted long enough for all of that. My boys were dragging after 3 hours there. You have some amazing photos- what a fun day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails