Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gabe


Today is a sad day. We received a call this morning that our 19 year old nephew was in a car accident, and he did not survive. 


We are heartbroken.

When Gabe was born his family lived in the same small town as we did. Corey & I were dating and newly married during his toddler years he was our "pretend baby". We would take him to the park and on short car trips. One year we took him and our nephew, Hunter, to Ft. Worth at Christmastime to see Santa Clause at the mall. They were so excited. When we put Gabe on Santa's lap he asked what all 2 year olds ask for... socks! His funny hair and cute voice kept us laughing, and we loved him as much as we could love a child that was not our own. When Gabe was in elementary school, his family moved to Colorado. We have great memories of visiting his family during the holidays and in the summers. One Christmas, we all went snow skiing, and he is the one that taught Allie how to ski. He has always been a very kind person and has always loved babies. In the last few years, anytime that we were together, Cooper could be found on Gabe's lap or on his hip or shoulder. After one visit to Texas, Cooper even named his very special stuffed turtle after his cousin... except in his language his name was "Gade". When we got the news today that Gabe had passed away, Jack ran to Cooper's bed and got Gade the Turtle, and he was a comfort to my 3 little kids that are once again having to make sense of the tragic loss of a cousin.

We only have pictures from the last couple of years on our computer. Here are a few of the ones that we have with our Sweet Gabe...

~ Cooper cuddling with Gabe ~
~ Allie, Gabe, Cooper, Christian, Jack, & Clay ~
~ Corey's sister, Roxann, and 3 of her 5 kids ~
~ Gabe playing with his niece & nephew, Emma & Noah, and Jack ~
~ Gabe & Cooper ~

15 comments:

chariti said...

Amy, My heart is broken for you and your family. I know that the loss you all are suffering is so intense and awful. I'll be praying for comfort for all of you as you walk through the next week and try to juggle all of the traveling and logistics while grieving too. PLEASE know that I wish I could be there to help and I'm praying that all of your needs are met by the body of Christ during this time. I love you!

Emily said...

I am so sorry. It doesn't seem real and it is definitely not fair. I wish that I knew the right thing to say or do. I just want to fix it and I can't. I am here for you no matter what...really. I love you guys. This is such a sweet post that honors and remembers Gabe in such a sweet way. I love hearing your memories of when he was just a baby/toddler.

Courtney said...

That just breaks my heart. I realize this is the second nephew you've lost in a pretty short amount of time. Every time I hear of someone losing a child or meet someone who has lost a child, I just squeeze mine a little harder...hoping I can hold on forever. My prayers are with you and your family.

Amy said...

Yes, our nephew Brooks died in a car accident 18 months ago. He was 19 as well. This is all unimaginable!

Thank you all for your prayers.

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry, Amy & family. It's just got to be devastating. He sounded like a great cousin to your kiddos- a very special guy. We are praying for all of you.

amy said...

I'm so sorry, Amy. I'm praying that you will be able to spend time loving your family, grieving together and remembering Gabe's life. Your post was a lovely memorial. Here's a long distance *HUG* because there's nothing I can say or do to make it better.

chelsea rose said...

I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Amanda said...

Oh friend, I am just so heartbroken for you all and I am so, so sorry for your loss. There are no words. Your post is a wonderful tribute.

Sara said...

Amy, That is the sweetest post - and absolutely heartbreaking!!! I can't believe this has happened! Of course I didn't know Gabe that well, but as much as I was ever around him, that's exactly what he was like. Those pictures are perfect!!! The words you said about him and those pictures will be such a treasure to his family! I love you and am praying for all of you!

Mama Jeannie said...

Amy, I just now got to check my email and your blog. I couldn't say it any better than what everyone else has said. Emily, especially, put into words my exact thoughts. What a sweet and honoring post you wrote for Gabe. My heart is breaking with all of yours. I love you so much. I am praying...

Leanna said...

Amy, so sorry to hear this sad news. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Charree said...

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. I will be praying for you and your family. May God comfort all of you in the difficult time.
~Charree

Rebecca Read said...

Amy - I'm so sorry to hear about this. We'll pray for your family. What a tragic loss for you all.

Stacy said...

Oh Amy! I am so sorry for you and everyone in your family. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers. So sorry you all have to go through such a tragic loss again. Hugs!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm so sorry for all of you. I can't even fathom that you're going through this type of loss another time. I'm praying for you. I hope the great memories you have will bring you some comfort.

Related Posts with Thumbnails