Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jack's 1st Deer

This past weekend was a big weekend for Jack...

When I met Corey in 1986 the world of hunting was new to me, but it was one of the things that Corey lived for.  It was obvious to me that hunting was a thing that still bonded him to his father who had past away.  Just hearing him talk about his hunting experiences with his dad, I could imagine the love that they shared.  So, because of my interest in Corey, I became interested in this hobby and passion of his.  I even went hunting with him a few times.  I never developed a passion for hunting of my own, and I don't feel the need to go sit in the stand anymore, and I am thoroughly disgusted at the sight of a deer that has been shot... but I see the joy that it brings Corey, and I try to respect that. 

A couple of years ago Corey started taking Jack hunting with him.  I totally expected Jack to come home from that first hunting trip with moans and groans of being cold and bored, but he came home excited that he had gotten to be with his hero for an entire weekend... uninterrupted.  He would come home telling me stories of when Daddy was a boy and of Daddy's Daddy and of the land that Corey's family owns that we call The Place.  I could see that this experience was much more about sharing love and memories and manliness and life lessons than killing an animal.  

This year when hunting season rolled around Corey & Jack started talking about this being "the year".  They were sure that this was the season that Jack would kill his first deer.  I was nervous.  My boy is tenderhearted, and I did not know how he would respond to killing an animal.  Not to mention the gun that he would have to use... the gun really scared me!  Corey assured me that he, like his dad had done for him, had taught Jack gun safety.  He even bought him a youth rifle that would be a better match for him than one of Corey's guns.  

This past weekend while the guys were gone on a hunting trip, my phone rang.  It was Jack.  He was beaming - through the phone.  I said, "Wahtcha doin' Buddy?", and he said, "I just killed my first deer!"  I asked him if it was gross or sad, and he said it wasn't... he was just so excited.  And then he gave me as many details as I could handle hearing then promptly said, "I have to go.  I need to call my uncles and Poppie." 

So, as much as a hunter as I am not, I am excited about this for my guys too.  For Corey, it is a chance to live the dreams that he always had of hunting with his boy.  A time to remember the times that he shared with his dad.  For Jack, it is a chance to start down this road of becoming a man.  A time to learn about his dad's heritage.  A chance to be with his hero and learn from him.  

This morning Corey sent me an email with the pictures that he took with his phone of Jack's big event.  They are cool pictures that I had planned on blogging about as soon as I got them.  He also attached some words about this weekend from his perspective.  That, is the treasure to me.  From my man that is not nearly as emotional as me, I was thankful to get a glimpse into his thoughts about this big event.  And more than anything, I am thankful that Jack has his daddy's words to look back on when he remembers the day that he killed his first deer.   


Jack’s First Deer

by Corey 


In 1976, 32 Deer Season's ago I killed my first deer, I was 7 years old.  After all these years I remember it vividly, it was a source of pride in my youth, now one of my favorite memories.

 

Most weekends during Deer Season my Dad and I would spend hunting together on the place he bought in 1968.  I was reminded of the countless adventures I had there as a child this weekend as Jack was making and announcing discoveries as I worked around the cabin.  Dad and I spent a lot of time there hunting, fishing and trapping together, teaching me how to live off the land, how to be a man.

 

On the evening hunt on Sunday, the last hunt before we came home Jack killed his first deer, dropped it in its tracks.  We could see it, right where it had stood and Jack was raring to go see it, I knew it was dead but took the occasion to teach him to give it time, like dad taught me.  He was all smiles as he approached the deer & we celebrated together.  I soaked it all in, wish dad could have been there with us.

 

I paused several times throughout the weekend & thought about Dad and me, and how I have the place to take my son's to.  On the way home I told Jack, "in a few years you'll be bringing your son down here".

 
Look at the look on his face!  This is right after his shot.


We love this picture - Jack with a little of Corey & the deer.
~ the stand where Jack was when he shot his first deer ~
~ My Boys ~

7 comments:

Mama Jeannie said...

What an important and precious post Amy. Those father/son times; sons learning to become men, and learning to respect and appreciate what God has created to live off the land... well, I think Corey is teaching Jack and Cooper principles that will make them strong and wise; principles I wish more fathers would invest into their sons' lives. AWESOME! I have to admit though that I still feel sorry for the deer. :0)

Amy said...

I know you do, Mom. :)

Emily said...

I read his note on facebook this morning and cried. I love getting a glimpse into Corey's daddy heart. I love that they are building such a strong relationship and making memories that will last a lifetime. He is one good daddy! I also love the pictures, especially the one of Jack right after he made the shot, his smile is priceless.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love Corey's note about the experience ... life-long memories have been created.

amy said...

I can honestly say that I'm not a fan of hunting or guns, but your post moved me to tears. I think it is so wonderful that Corey is able to share this with his sons & express his feelings and memories in writing. I know Jack will always cherish the time he spends with his Daddy. Precious...

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet post about that relationship. Somehow, Jack looks a bit older in these pictures.... :-(

Jami said...

Wow what a sweet post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails