Wednesday, December 26, 2007

4 Years

Four years ago today my life changed. I took my first steps of a journey I didn't want to go on. I experienced heartache like I had never known before. Because of that heartache and this journey I have now experienced love like I never had before and for that I am thankful.

On that Christmas 4 years ago, there was a gift from Allie to a baby that she had been dreaming of holding for years. It was a matching outfit and bib and tiny little teddy bear from Baby Gap... mint green because she didn't know if this baby was a new brother or sister. On that Christmas 4 years ago, there was a tiny little stocking hung on our mantel by Jack... the big brother in waiting. Santa filled it with Winnie The Pooh pacifiers that Christmas. Throughout the experience of my miscarriage I would take the baby stocking down, and Jack would find it and put it back up... "for the next baby" "for a new baby" "not for our dead baby", he would say in his little 3-year-old voice.

I never knew how impacting that day four years ago would be. I never knew that I would never have another Christmas and not remember the pajamas I was wearing when it started, the towel that I dried my hands with, the way the bathroom floor felt as I laid on it, the way that I cried as my little boy rode his new bike outside while I laid in bed and tried to save something that I ultimately had no control over. All of it. I remember all of it. Especially at Christmas. I never knew how because of all of this my life would change. I would become a different person. My love would be deeper, my priorities would be different, my relationships would change, my highs would be higher, and I would live with some very low lows.

So, at Christmas, as I remember Jesus' birth, I am extra thoughtful about where He is now and that 2 of my 5 children might be sitting on his lap instead of Santa's. I am overwhelmed with thankfulness that He came to this lowly earth to create a way for them to get into his presence and a way for me to join them someday.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Amy, this is so beautiful. A glimpse of your heart. You are loved.

Jenny said...

oh, I remember that Christmas for you as well. When I saw you at the service at church 2 nights ago I remembered seeing you at the service 4 years ago and you were wearing this cute red maternity top and you were just glowing. And then stopping by your house Christmas night to see the kids... and you told me about your spotting... oh, it's been a hard road for you. As Eliz said, you are loved.

Amanda said...

Thinking of you during this difficult time. You know there's nothing that can be said to bring understanding, but in the midst of your remembering, I hope you're able to see ways that your experience was turned to good. Indeed, you are loved and very appreciated.

Amy said...

I remembered that Christmas Eve service when I saw your family at church this year too, Jenny...

Stacy said...

Oh Sweet Amy I remember that too. I know this is a tough time of year for you every year since then. Thinking of you and sending a hug your way!

Anonymous said...

My sweet sweet Amy-girl,
I love you so much and I pray that in the midst of remembering; that the hurting will fade away and the unspeakable joy of knowing you will one day see your babies will overtake you... even at Christmastime. Thank you for your beautiful words and sharing your love for your Lord and Savior. He makes all the difference, doesn't He?

Related Posts with Thumbnails