Friday, December 14, 2007

A Birthday Gift For You, Sara... Bloggy Style

***GOTCHA!!!***

Here's the story - the way I remember it.

My Granny was the funniest thing! She sometimes gave the best gifts around... and sometimes she did not! Sometimes the gifts she gave made you wonder "What was she thinking?" "What did I do to deserve this?". Sometimes you just had to laugh.



Case in point... one time Granny brought me what she was sure were the most wonderful house shoes ever. She just knew that I would love them. When I saw them, I had to stifle a giggle. They were blue! Blue "All Man-Made Materials". i.e. Plastic or something like it. She wondered if they fit me and if I "needed" any house shoes. I told her that I didn't need any right now, but I thought that Sara did... and they were just her size. She quickly took them to Sara and presented her with the lovely shoes. I was laughing hysterically in the other room.

Sometime after that Sara "gave" them to me. Then, at a time when she least expected it, I gave them back to her. And so on. And so on. Our tradition of shoe-giving has continued at random times for years and years. (at least since 1996 - maybe before) They have made the rounds to Germany, to Colorado, and to Mexico on Sara's honeymoon. They have been gifts for my 15th anniversary, Christmas, Easter, and a baby shower or two... and many other times that I cannot recount. The packaging from many of the transactions remains with the shoes along with many of our notes back and forth. This is the first time that they have been "given" via the Internet, and it is a brilliant idea, if I do say so myself. ;)

I love our tradition. I love that it reminds me of my dear, sweet granny and that it bring us so much joy.

4 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love your new layout ... I looked a minute ago and then came back to comment and it was all new! Love this tradition ... how neat to have sisters! You're blessed.

Elizabeth said...

That is so funny!!! I love the relationship you have with your sisters (and your family!), it's very sweet and inspiring.

Love the new layout too! It's clean looking.

Love you girly.

Amanda said...

I also love the layout, and the shoes, and the whole GOTCHA tradition. So fun! Glad you can now go digital.

Sara said...

I liked the other layout better. =) But the house shoes are HILARIOUS!!!! BEYOND HILARIOUS!!! I love you!!!!! And I love remembering our crazy Granny! =) Thanks for the "gift".

Related Posts with Thumbnails