Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Today I had big plans of finishing up all of our Christmas shopping while the kids were at school. Today was my last chance to get it done as they only go to school one more day... and only a half a day then. Well, much like the last few weeks of my life, today did not go as planned. (Remember? "flexibility with a capital F"? Now, we are up to all CAPS! FLEXIBILITY. The theme of my life right now.) After I dropped the kids at school, I got to feeling really weak, so I came home and headed to my bed for a power-nap. Corey is still home (waiting and taking pain pills), so he took Cooper downstairs to watch a show while I slept for a bit. After a half hour or so I felt so much better and was ready to hit the shops. Before I left, I took Corey into the garage to show him something that I had gotten for someone for Christmas, and when we tried to go back in the house we discovered that we were locked out. Cooper was inside watching a show - alone, and we had no key and were barefoot in the garage. I ran to my neighbor's house to get the spare key to our house, and Corey knocked on doors and called through windows to Cooper. Neither of us had any luck with our attempts at a rescue. I went to another neighbor's house to see if they still had a key from the time that they dog-sat. Not home. Cooper was still alone in the house (not hearing any of our cries for help), and I was starting to get nervous. I went to another neighbor's house to use the phone when I finally decided to call the police's non-emergency number and ask for help. The police lady said, "I'll send a fire crew right away." Oh great! I could just imagine the big fire engine with its lights and sirens coming to our house and breaking down the door with their *axes. (Surely that would get Cooper's attention.) A moment later the "spare-key neighbor" arrived home, and we finally got in. All was safe and sound inside. Cooper never even knew that he was alone. Finally, sometime after noon I made it to the store. I made it to several stores actually, and I think that I can see the light at the end of my shopping tunnel. Woo Hoo!

Now for wrapping...

*my imagination

4 comments:

Emily said...

HA, that is so horrible. I did that with Emily Mascorro when she was just a few weeks old (actually Christopher did it). We called the cops too, but before they broke out a window we found the spare key. It is so scary.

Glad you got your shopping (almost)finished.

Courtney said...

I know how awful that is. I locked Clinton in the car at the grocery this summer! Of course, he could see me and I cried every time I looked at him. Feel free to check out the details in the "Moron Mommy" post from July! Now I check, double-check, and triple-check my key situation before shutting any door!

Elizabeth said...

OH MY! That is horrible! Once, Scott's birthmom was here on a visit and she was watching the kids for us. She got locked out of the house (thanks to Sam)! Not fun! Glad you're okay (and Cooper too!)

Amanda said...

What excitement -- glad you're all okay! What would this season be without a little drama? Hopefully that's it for you, and you'll ring in the New Year with peace.

Related Posts with Thumbnails