Tuesday, January 15, 2008

... and I quote

You know when you are mulling something over and things that have to do with that one thing seem to jump out at you? That happened to me yesterday. We were at the chiropractor, and they had a Thomas Kincaid picture with this quote on it...

A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world ~ Joseph Addison

Hmmm... So, I put that little quote in the contentment-file of my brain, and when I googled it and make sure that I had it right before I blogged it, I found a few other quotes that I liked too...

Contentment is not satisfaction. It is the grateful, faithful, fruitful use of what we have, little, or much. It is to take the cup of Providence, and call upon the name of the Lord. What the cup contains is its contents. To get all there is in the cup is the act and art of contentment. Not to drink because one has but half a cup, or because one does not like its flavor, or because some one else has silver to one's own glass, is to lose the contents; and that is the penalty, if not the meaning of discontent. No one is discontented who employs and enjoys to the utmost what he has. It is high philosophy to say, we can have just what we like, if we like what we have; but this much at least can be done, and this is contentment,--to have the most and best in life, by making the most and best of what we have. ~ Maltbie Davenport Babcock

A contented heart is an even sea in the midst of all storms. ~ Anonymous

Ah, sweet Content, where doth thine harbour hold? ~ Barnabe Barnes, Parthenophil and Parthenophe

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

An even sea...love that quote.

An even sea because we rest under God's protection. The storms attack us, but He bears the brunt of the force.

So, does contentment = peace? I don't know.

Mama Jeannie said...

How encouraging are these words about contentment. Truth wrapped up like a beautiful package with ribbons and bows and a name tag with 'Amy' written by the hand of God Himself it seems. I love it!

Sara said...

Profound! We could all use some more contentment I think! Maybe we'll all get a little closer because of your new insights. I love you!!!

Amanda said...

I bought this book for you yesterday. Be prepared for the onslaught of contentment. Muhahaha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails