Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A "Mommy First"

Today I experienced something for the first time.  Allie had a big presentation at school that the parents were invited to attend, and I had to miss it because of my obligations to my little ones at home.  When she came in the door after school and said, "You were the only mom that was not there." my heart sunk.  I just don't do that.  I don't miss things.  I am sad, and I am surprised at how much that it has affected me. 


We are the crazy parents that document each first day of school as if it is the first time we've ever had one... every year.  We are the crazy family that brought our one week old baby to basketball camp awards and have since drug him to every basketball and baseball and football game that his siblings have played in.  We are the crazy family whose dad tries to take every family member's birthday off work each year, so we can all spend that special day together.  We are the crazy family that bundled our 10 month old baby up in  a snowsuit and took him to all of my dad's football team's play off games all over Texas in November and December one year.  We are the crazy couple that postponed a birthday-weekend-hotel-getaway until later on a Saturday because our kids had games that morning.  I am  the crazy lady that missed a dear friend's 40th birthday party because my sister was graduating from college on the same day.  I am the crazy mom that wore my 10 month old baby in a Snugli all day when the big kids had Field Day at school.  We don't always make to all of every event, but we juggle things, and we always make it to part of them or at least one of us is in attendance.  

We just don't miss things.  

And we like it that way.

So, today I was so sad to have no choice but to miss something for one child... so as to not miss something with another.  It was a "mommy first".  

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ugh, that's hard. Sam has said that to me once. Broke my heart. I hope Allie is better!

Amy said...

Allie is fine now. To her, it was more of an observation. To me, it was sad. Hopefully, we won't have to do that many more times...

Amanda said...

Oh friend, I'm so sorry. I know that made your hard day harder.

Emily said...

I am so sorry that you are hurting! That is so sad. I know that you made the only choice you could therefore it was the right choice. I am glad that Allie is alright with it and I also hope that you don't have to do it to many more times.

Sara said...

Ah! That stinks! I'm sorry that that made you sad. It would have made me sad too. But I'm glad that Allie was a "Powell" about it. =) And I hope Jack is better really soon!!!...for all of your sakes! Love you!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That stinks ... I've heard that before too (in the post-twin era) and it makes you ache. Glad Allie was really okay with it. Hope you will be too.

Mama Jeannie said...

Amy, this really was new thing, wasn't it? You and Corey are beyond comitted to your children; amazing how invovled you have always been to each one of them and I'm sure you always will be until they are an old lady and old men and you are even older. :0) I love you sweet girl and I hope all of you are better or all the way well today and I hope Corey gets to be home where he can rest and enjoy his precious family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails