Monday, January 28, 2008

Missing Him

This has been a good weekend... long and tiring and full, but good.  Corey was lost in the land of computer servers all weekend (and still is), so in addition to the regular feeding, clothing, bathing, etc. of my little ones, I have been:

- helping Allie complete a presentation for school
- planning & purchasing everything for a birthday party for Jack which has led me on a wild goose chase around the metroplex for items from the "dollar spot" at Target (I now have an official love/ hate relationship with the "dollar spot" at Target.)
- keeping Cooper from whacking his siblings (and me, for that matter) in the head (while in line at Target) because he is mad that he dropped a piece of his candy on the floor and/or because he had to share his candy with his siblings 
- trying to maintain my composure in Target while every soul in the store is looking at me and my crying - make that, screaming - baby
- dealing with Cooper's fit in each and every store because he didn't get candy at the checkout
- trying to teach Cooper that we are nice because it is nice to be nice... not just to get candy
- trying to resist the feeling that I need to explain to all of the strangers that are staring at us why I am at Target in the first place, why I don't just buy the screaming baby the candy, why I am not up for dealing with the "Do you need cash back?" button then the "Is this the right total?" button then the "Are you sure?" button on the little credit card machine (I really think that they need an "I am a mom in a hurry." button on those dang machines!)
- getting us all to and from ballgames and church and errands
- doing homework with both big kids
- hearing the play-by-play details of Jack's games and Lego projects (This really takes concentration!)
- spending some one-on-one time with Allie
- making a couple of huge, life-changing decisions that have to be made this week
- trying to squeeze in a bath for myself (I failed at that.)
- and much, much more
... all the while, trying to keep my house from becoming the black-hole. (I failed at that too.)

Needless to say, right now I am so tired, but all I can do is miss him.  My man is working.  He may not be home tonight at all.  And while there are many, many nights that I can't sleep but don't know why, tonight it is because I miss him.

Hurry home, love.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I never sleep well without my Scott. Keeping myself busy while he's gone is a good thing though. Looks like you did the same!

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness sweet girl! Talk about the dream of simplifying your life, huh? How do you do that with three kids and dog, homeschooling, church, projects, parties, and daily discipline and lovin' on all three kids and a tired husband? By the by... you don't owe anyone an explanation for why your 'baby' doesn't get candy at every check-out stand and why he screams like his toes are being cut off and put in a pickle jar. I can only imagine how difficult this is and how difficult it is for Corey to be away from his family as well. Hope he made it home all right either last night or this morning. Hope he gets to sleep until he can't sleep no more. You could probably use a nice long hot bath and a nap too, couldn't you?

Amanda said...

Hubby make it home yet?

Amy said...

He got home around 3am, slept, and went back. He's still there. Yes, I am tired... and I miss him!!!!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

You need to invent that "mom in a hurry" button. We all could use that. I'm a bit sick of the Target looks lately too ... the only people shopping there must be people with super-well-behaved kids or else people with nannies. :)

Amy said...

I'm thinking it's people with nannies... that have extremely bratty kids. :) (Makes me feel better anyway.)

Sara said...

That is SO SAD! Corey is such a hard worker, and I truly admire that. And I hate it that you have to be separated for such long hours sometimes!!! But you're amazing! You're a great juggler! =) And Cooper...oh Cooper! I'm sure every parent who has had a two year old knows what you're going through! I can only imagine! I know my day will come!!! =) Love you!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails