Thursday, October 4, 2007

Culture Club

...aka The Modern

Today my friend, Amanda, and I went to the museum. Now, I have not been much of a museum person up to this point in my life, but it was really fun! Although there were a few "pieces of art" that I think that my children could have made by wallowing around in some blue paint then rolling on a canvas, there were some truly beautiful pieces. We went to the museum today to see the Ron Mueck exhibit. It was amazing!!! He is a sculptor that creates images of humans that are so lifelike it is almost scary... but he does it with a twist. They are all extremely larger or smaller than real life. They have hair, blood vessels, freckles, wrinkles, fingernails (and a few other things that make me blush) that look very very real! It truly was amazing!

These were a couple of my favorites... We were not able to take pictures of our own, so I found these online. Notice how big the baby is compared to all the men that are carrying it.

This one is called "Two Women", but I have renamed it "Milly & Bea". They are tiny - maybe 1 1/2 - 2 feet tall. Look at that detail!






This one is called "A Girl". It is amazing to me how Mueck captured this tiny newborn baby-look with a sculpture... that is about 15 - 20 feet tall! He didn't miss a detail - even down to the doctor's bloody fingerprints on the baby's back! Amazing!








Thanks Amanda for infusing this plain-Jane with some culture. I had a great time! And thank you to my sweet fiend, Cheryl, for watching my boy, so I could go add to my sophistication. :)

4 comments:

Emily said...

These are amazing! I am so glad that you got to go have some adult friend time. Amanda's friendship seems to be just what the dr. ordered. I don't know her, but I am thankful for her.

Amanda said...

Milly and Bea, I love it. I had the best time with you today. Today, The Modern; tomorrow, the world.

Elizabeth said...

Wow...a museum! Now that's the life. :-) I'm glad you had some grown up time with a good friend.

Corey Powell said...

You hippies & your naked "art".

Related Posts with Thumbnails