Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tick-Tock

Okay, I usually think of myself as a young chick, but yesterday I saw something that made my biological clock's alarm go off. Oprah had a doctor on her show that has written a book about perimenopause/ menopause, and she was recommending it for women 35 and up. YIKES! I am nearing that age range, and I am not ready to be perimenopausal!

I never thought the window of time that I would be having babies would be so short, but in the big picture it really is. I wish that I had realized that years ago. Years ago, at the beginning of my baby-having-journey, I think that I thought that we could decide when babies would come into our family and control just how many of them would arrive. Now that my big ol' biological clock is staring me in the face and now that I have lived life for a bit longer, I realize how truly out of my control it all is. Before we had our first baby we would talk, all sure of ourselves, about how we were going to be married for about 5 years before we started our family then we would have 4 or 5 babies. Well, we were married 4 1/2 years when baby #1 arrived. We were right on track. When, we decided to have baby #2 it took us 14 months to concieve him, and I got a glimpse into the baby-thing being out of my hands. After that, life was busy... and hard. Corey was starting a new company, and it just didn't seem like the "right time" to have another baby. In retrospect, I now know that no time is the "right time"... it is always hard to have a baby and you always has to make huge adjustments to add a new member to the family, but it is always worth it. I wish that I had realized that years ago. Baby #3 was our one and only "surprise". It came at a time that made no financial sense for our family, but we were instantly thrilled that it was on its way. Sadly, 10 weeks later that baby was gone but the dream that it birthed in us for a third baby remained. Now we knew what we were missing and what we really wanted. Baby #4 came and went almost as quickly as the one before it had, and our desire for a child to hold and love was more intense than ever. Still not making any sense "on the books" to have another baby, we knew that we had to... and thankfully, we did. Baby #5 is now 2, and it makes sense in so many ways that now is the time to add to our family if we are going to. Although, again, the timing does not seem "right" in so many ways. Only this time, I can see the sand falling through my hour glass, and I know that nothing is gauranteed, and I almost frantically don't want my window of opportunity to close.

Who knew that life would pass so quickly when some days it seems to drag so slowly? For now, I have pushed "snooze" on the clock, but I cannot get back into the deep sleep where I am oblivious to the fact that I am aging, and that I am not in control of the composition of my family at all.

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

It's so true - when you're young, you truly think you can plan life. Learning you can't may be one of life's greatest lessons.

That's why I don't watch Oprah ... :)

Mama Jeannie said...

Sweet Amy I think you girls watch way too much Oprah. :0) I'm sure the info you heard is generally speaking true, but God has a plan and He didn't consult Oprah Winfrey. He knows the beginning from the end and Miss Oprah knows only what she's heard. If you are supposed to have another child it will happen; if Cooper is to be the caboose, God will cover you with His peace concerning this. Time will pass and your body will change, but don't rush it or worry about it. Certainly take care of it, but do not worry or fret about your future. God has plans for you that are good; plans to prosper and bless you; not to harm you. Jer. 29:11... I love you, Mama

Amy said...

Oh, I'm not worried about it! Just thinking about it.

I don't consult Oprah for my reproductive advise - just for some entertainment and a little knowledge. Infact, the show was not about baby-having at all. It was about a doctor that has written a book for women ages 35+ who will be entering or are in menopause and the health issues that those women might be concerned about. Medically speaking, I may (or may not) be nearing the end of my child-bearing years, and that is amazing to me. As I get older, my perspective on life - including the length of the stages of life - has drastically changed.

Yes, as always, the Lord's plans for my life are and will be good.

Related Posts with Thumbnails