Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My BIG, HUGE, HUMONGOUS Lesson Of The Day

There is a blog that I frequent that I have mentioned several times. It belongs to a lady, Christina, in California. She is my age and had a 2-year-old son - like me. Just this month, her baby, Judson, passed away. Her insights since that time (and before) have been amazing. Beyond amazing. I have learned so much from this person that I do not know and will probably never meet. Her blog entry today was unbelievable. Really! It is titled "Why Not?". I have copied it below, and I highly recommend checking out all of her insights on her blog. Though she is living through the most terrible pain of her life - probably the most terrible pain that is out there - her faith is really almost incomprehensible to me. I pray that I can absorb it, and integrate her lessons into my life. Thank you Christina for sharing. Through you and because of Jud my life is changed forever.

http://blog.myspace.com/levasheff
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We frequently have people assume that Drake and I are asking the questions "Why, God? Why us? Why have You allowed us to walk this path of pain and suffering?" If these questions are founded in a belief that we somehow do not deserve this affliction, then this query does not sit well with me.

It appears that inherent in these particular questions is a sense of entitlement. The underlying tenet seems to assume that one somehow believes their challenges in life are not justified, or that God has given them a situation that is not fair.

I am not entitled to anything. Our lives are a gift and all that we have been given is a gift. We are not guaranteed a pain-free existence. Though it can be horribly trying, pain is part of living in a fallen world.

Moreover, the question of "Why, God?" also appears void of gratitude. When we believe we don't deserve our pain on the life journey we've been given, then it can be difficult to be thankful for the blessings that have been bestowed upon us. Discontentment breeds ingratitude.

Conversely, gratitude breeds contentment.

I want a heart that maintains a grateful posture, despite external circumstances. Ultimately, I have been given a gift that far outweighs the pains of this temporal existence—I have been given the hope of eternity with the Author and Creator of the universe, where pain will be no more, along now with the promise that my son awaits me there.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I spent an hour on her page last night reading all of her newest entries. They are beautiful and heartbreaking. Her faith is amazing and otherworldly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails