Monday, November 26, 2007

The Stockings Were Hung By The Chimney With Care


Last night I decorated the mantel of our fireplace. Every year I decorate it differently. Some years it has a nativity on it, some years it has more garland than others, and before Cooper was part of the family it had stocking hangers on it (now I am scared he will pull them off on to his head). This year I went with Santas and Snowmen and Nutcrackers... Oh My! (and stockings, of course)

The Nutcracker is super-special to our family. One year before we had kids Corey took me to the ballet to see The Nucracker for my birthday. It was one of the most special occasions that we have shared. It was all very magical and beautiful for us small-town-kids that had not had much in the way of cultural experiences. When we had our little girl we could not wait to take her to see The Nutcracker... and I think she was 3 when she first went. She was glued to the dancers, she spun in the aisles, and she applauded whole-heartedly. We have taken her to see The Nutcracker most winters since then... and Jack has joined us a few times too. Thus, the Nutcracker collection. The big one was brought to Allie one year by Santa - she wanted one just like Clara's. We gave her the one that looks like Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz the year that she dressed up like her for Halloween. (It was a BIG Wizard of Oz phase.) The one in the blue dress is Clara holding a nutcracker, and the other big one is Jack's - it is dressed like a skier. (Our family LOVES to ski!) Most of the others have been bought as souveniers at the ballet.

Today my Christmas decorating continued. I put out 2 nativity sets and Allie & I decorated the kitchen banister with garland, lights, and mini-ornaments. It is all starting to come together... a few more decorating sessions inside and a nice day to decorate outside, and we will officially be decorated for Christmas. Already though, even among the mess of the Rubbermaid boxes, ornaments that are in a pile that need to be glued back together, the laundry that I am determined to finish today, the homework, the toys, and the dishes, I feel so cozy.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Love it! I need to get moving. Great idea on the stocking hangers...that happened twice last year with Megan. I'm tempted to put them up anyway this year!

Emily said...

I love how Christmas decorations can make even the most messy home feel cozy. I am currently experiencing that right now. I love the way it feels to walk into a house with a Christmas tree, garland, and sparkly white lights. Your mantle looks great!

Mama Jeannie said...

Beautiful entries about ornaments and decorating your mantle; the memories your family has already made with many more to come. I love your Christmas house Amy and can hardly wait to see it. Hopefully, Dad and I will adorn our little home with it's yearly Christmas attire this weekend. Can hardly wait for the end result; the sparkles, memories revisited, and all the happy colors everywhere. God bless you sweet girl. Sounds like laundry is even more fun these days. ha-ha

Related Posts with Thumbnails