Friday, November 16, 2007

Proverbs vs. Titus

I was recently talking to a friend who had heard some teaching about being a Christian woman, and I thought that what she had learned was very interesting. It seems like when women in the church are given something to live up to or rules to follow, Proverbs 31 is always the text of the Bible that is used. That has always baffled me... since I don't have servants (though I wish I did!), will probably never buy a field, and have no need to select wool and flax I don't know what to do with much of that scripture. Oh, don't get me wrong. I know that it is in the Big Book for a reason, and I know that there are parts of it that I could implement (although I fail miserably at those), but for the most part it is a little "over my head" and overwhelming. Well, this friend said that that she had heard a challenge to try to live with her focus being Titus 2 instead of Proverbs 31. I had read those verses in Titus a million times, and what I got most out of it was that the old women should teach the young ones. When I read it again, after this conversation with my friend, I realized that there are just a few things - things that I actually understand - that this verse encourages me to do.
~love my husband and children
~be self-controlled and pure
~to be busy at home
~to be kind
~be subject to my husband
~to be reverent in the way I live
~not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine
~teach what is good
That's doable... or at least parts of it are, part of the time. I found that to be encouraging.

Then again, even those few things can overwhelm me, so here is a tidbit that I picked up at church on Sunday. When Jesus was asked which of all the commandments was the most important, there were only 2 two things that he mentioned. (Surely I can focus on just 2 things!)

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

"Love your neighbor as yourself."


Proverbs 31
10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Titus 2
3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this! Thanks for the post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails